Making Clothespin Dolls

Category Dollmaking
Clothes pins have long been a starting point for making many different craft projects. This is a guide about making clothespin dolls.

Make your own miniature doll characters to put in any doll house, book shelf, or just as a gift to someone special!

Approximate Time: a few hours

Supplies

Instructions

1. Take your clothespin and drill a small hole below the "head" approximately where the shoulder should be.
  2. Thread the wire through the hole until you get the length you want for the arms, then clip with wire cutters.
  3. Take a small bit of clay and mold around each "arm" and let dry.
  4. Ad

5. Paint flesh colored paint on head and arms, and paint face on with small paint brush. ( You could also use a fine point Sharpie pen if you don't feel comfortable with a paint brush.)
  6. Cut out small pieces of fabric and glue onto doll according to the type of outfit you want the doll to have.
  7. Add any lace trims or embellishments you want .
  8. You can now add the kind of hair you want for your doll braiding the yarn, or gluing it on the head and twisting it in a bun etc. (or, you can use the air dry clay to shape a hairstyle, glue it on the head, then paint the hairdo the color you want.
  9. If you want your doll to stand, you can use a small ball of clay, stick the feet in to it, then press and glue it on a small flat disk.

By Debbie from Fisher, IL

This is a wonderful idea! Boy, if you don't win for this entry something is wrong. Cute idea!!

Let me say in again, this is an adorable idea!! How cute!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are soooooooo beautilful!!!!!!! thanks sooooooooo much! You deserve much more than 25 dollars! You could seriously sell those! And I have so many mini dollhouse furniture - Ive got to try to do that! Thank you again! That is just crazy KOOL!

These are lovely.

I made dolls like these many years ago. They were beautiful. But a little simpler. I used pipe cleaners for arms (no holes to drill,just wraparound, I think. And I just painted on a little hair ('m not good at making hair) and made pretty bonnets or hats to put over head. It was great fun and everyone loved them. I had them on display for a long time. Thanks for the reminder.

Dear Debbie-These are so pretty! I didn't know what they were made from when I first saw them. I don't think I've ever seen such lovely clothespin dolls. What an inspiration! Thanks for sharing.

Debbie, I can't believe I missed this.How creative.You did a great job.

Thanks for the idea.

Would you please give me directions (pattern) on the dress of the first doll? I love the Williamsburg look. Thank-you am looking forward to hearing from you