Making Garlic Powder

Making Garlic Powder
It is convenient to have garlic available in powder form. This guide is about making garlic powder.

When great garlic begins to go soft in storage, it's time to make garlic powder. To prepare this multipurpose seasoning from scratch, first peel the garlic cloves. Then cut them into thin slices and put in a dry pan. Place the pan in a 150 degree F oven to dry the garlic, turning the slices often. Grind the dried slices in a blender, then sift the material through a strainer to separate the chunks from the finer powder (the chunks taste great on pizza).

Use your homemade powder on any food that can benefit from a concentrated shot of garlic flavor. Store the chunks or garlic powder in airtight jars kept in a cool place, or freeze for long-term storage.

Source: My Mom's homemade cookbook

By JodiT from Aurora, CO

I ran out of garlic powder once, my sweet neighbor's mother came over and showed me how to make it. She was visiting from Italy and could not speak English, but she taught me a lot! Use as many garlic cloves you want.

Total Time: 30 minutes

• garlic cloves

1. Place peeled, sliced garlic cloves in a 150 degree F oven. Heat until you can crush it in your hand and it crumbles easily.
  2. Remove from oven and let it cool down, Then grind it into a powder!
  3. Put it in a jar.