Making Palm Trees and Palm Leaves

Palm tree decorations are popular for parties, banquets, and other events. This is a guide about making palm trees and palm leaves.

June 30, 2013 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make palm tree leaves? Fabric is too limp and cardboard is a bit too stiff.

By Linda A

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What about felt and using starch to make it just a bit stiffer?

Thanks for your thought. A friend suggested I use fabric (green shower curtain) and florist tape under the fabric to stiffen the under side.

I thought about using fabric and applying pipe cleaner to the under side of the fabric.

Is this just for a temporary decoration? If so, I'd make them from newspaper. Use a couple sheets for the leaves and roll some for the veins in the leaves for support (glue on), then spray paint them dark green.

June 21, 2006 Flag

We are planning a beach party and want to make some palm trees to put out side by the beach area. Does anyone have a simple idea to make these trees?

Thank you for all your help!

ANGELA from INDIANA

I would also like to know. We have a pond with a very large sandy beach area. I saw on the Martha Stewart show how to make a temporary tiki bar but they didn't do any palm trees. Would love to know how too. Peg from Ohio

Heres an idea from my child hood. They might not look exactly like palms but they will be fun!

Take newspaper and lay it out you are planning on rolling it on an angle so paint the parts that would be at ttop and some on the inside green. ( you can try painting afterwards but it will be very hard. I suggest making one plain first to get to know our design.) Then roll on aa diagonal. once rolled tape the outside edge down. Then from the top of your roll, cut downwards in thick strips. ( the wider the better for the palm look.) once you have them cut, grab in the center of the tops shreds and pull up. The paper inside shoud twist and pull out some. The top will look like a plant and the bottom a trunk. Then you could paint the bottom brown and Voila! you have a palm.

The were called Flibbers when I was a kid and were great fun to make. Kinda hard for kids to do on thier own though since you need some really good scissors to do this.

Heres a link to the PBS. Sprout directions to this. they call it a growing tree.

http://www.sproutletsgrow.com/craft ... heets/sprout_craft_worksheet_122.pdf

We have made large palm trees for Luau parties.

1. Find a large cardboard roll (like wrapping paper roll only larger). Ask a carpet store for their old rolls, or a print shop that uses large rolls of paper. If the rolls are already brown leave them, if not, cover with brown craft paper or paper grocery bags.

2. Buy some jute or twine and tape it to one end, wrap it around the roll, tape at the other end. This adds texture to the cardboard roll.

3. Find an old umbrella or buy a cheap one at the dollar store. (If you are lucky enough to find a green one then just open it up and stick it in the top of the roll.) If not, remove the fabric from the umbrella.

4. Buy large pieces of green poster board. Cut into palm tree shapes. Attach to umbrella arms.

5. Stick the umbrella into the top of the roll.

Voila! Palm tree.

If you need it to be free standing, stick it in a bucket with some gravel, or something similar.

Thank you ladies !!!! This helps me a lot. I just hope they hold up at on our sandy beach. I also would like to know about the " tiki bar", that sounds fun !!! Let me know what you find out about that. Thank you again....

Angela

Use coffee cans. Stack them on top of each other and cover with brown paper. for the top leaves, cut out of green paper and tape to the middle of the top can. Make your tree high enough so no one can see the tape or glue a fruit over the tape.

It was pretty helpful, but it will take much longer than I thought.

You need to add pictures so I can understand more clearly.

Suggestion: for the base of the palm tree use brown lunch bags cut the bottom off of them and slide them down the cardboard pole and scrunch them together, takes about 25 to cover a 8ft pole. Looks realistic and I recommend it!

Crafts Home Decor DecorationsJune 28, 2013
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits
Palm trees growing in a front yard.
Growing Palm Trees
Up close photo of a Mimosa tree.
Growing Mimosa Trees
🎉
🎄