Growing Palm Trees

Category Trees
Palm trees growing in a front yard.
There are thousands of varieties of palm trees; most like warm sunny climates. There are some varieties that will tolerate less favorable conditions. This is a guide about growing palm trees.

I was thinking about planting Palm trees in my front yard, does anyone have any tips that they can give me?

By pamandtony

Best Answer

There are many varieties of palms. Some are more fragile than others, some for indoors only, most are tropical, intended for the coastal shores and warm moist regions of the world. The plant supplier will have the best information about them, warranty info, and if Coconut palms, you can count on high risk of freeze damage or wind damage if your area suffers from these?

Windmill palms are very popular, and a bit more expensive. It also depends upon the effect you are trying to achieve. Most are slow growing, unless the more common wild ones.

One tip: When they berry, cut just the berries off as soon as they are dry, otherwise, they become a pest and every berry is a seed for a new plant!

I have way too many palms that came with Cypress Mulching I put down years ago. I have my hands full, believe me, but because they are slow growing I can keep the ones that managed to grow in spite of me, SAWN back, until I get too old to use the tool!

Many people have succeeded in burlap wrapping the trunk IF they remembered to cut the branches back close to the trunk and in an attractive similar pattern to each other, otherwise the burlap bagging will not protect adequately from freezes. It must be roped and is a bit unsightly and bothersome to put on if one waits until cold weather. They are best in areas that don't have much or severe cold below 40 degrees. Bugs love them, the branches make noise because they dry out like paper. Wasps love to make nests beneath draping leaves, and starting with small plants can take a life time to see mature.

Fan palms are attractive, which is the kind I have, but I believe there are better palms with less maintenance somewhere? They require no fertilizer, and seem to grow most anywhere, sun or shade, so they are versatile but

need a great amount of "understanding" and overseeing.

Mine give a Calif. or Las Vegas/ New Mexico flare to my landscape, but if I could do it again, I'd choose a better variety. Do your homework and know all about your area, soil, weather/ climate, growth habits, expected size at maturity, pests, and origin of plant, or you might lose the plant, money, and patience!

Good luck and God bless.