Making Pants Shorter

I want to shorten my daughters pants and I was wondering how much extra length should I give myself so I get a hem like the stores give them?

Sandy from IL

Answers:

Making Pants Shorter

I always allow 2 inches and turn the first inch under then the next. (12/29/2004)

By jeangnome46

Making Pants Shorter

I always look at the existing hem before shortening and try to duplicate them. If I am doing denim jeans I cut to within 1/2 of where I want to shorten then add bias tape to the edge. I match my bobbin thread to as close to the thread in the seams. Don't forget to iron your hem before stitching, a real time saver. (12/30/2004)

By Jeanne in Maine

Making Pants Shorter

As a general rule of thumb: Give 1 1/2 inch for a hem allowance, turn under 1/2 inch and press then stitch, to give a clean finish to the end product. Then turn up your 1 full inch, press and stitch with 1/4 to 1/2 inch stitches by hand. If you use a Serger you can eliminate the 1/2 inch in the beginning and just finish the raw edge with the Serger and continue to hem the pants. One thing to consider, though is that all hems looks better and more professional when done by hand unless you have a machine to do invisible stitching.
Hope this helps.
Sue (01/01/2005)

By Sue

Pants with a permanent crease.
Adding a Permanent Crease to Pants
Lawnmower mowing long grass.
Choosing the Best Lawnmower Height Setting
Shorts made from blue jeans.
Making Shorts Out of Pants
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 19, 2016 at 11:14:23 PM on 10.0.1.129 in 906 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.