Making Spool Dolls
Thread spools can be reused to create something new. This guide is about making spool dolls
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This sweet little girl will sit at your desk or on your monitor.
Approximate Time: 20 minutes
- fabric, choice of color
- small mesh hat
- 1 round wood bead - 3/4 inch, with face or draw your own
- 2 round wood beads - 1/2 inch
- 2 round wood beads - 3/8 inch
- 7 wood spools - 5/8 inch
- 1 wood spool - 1.25 inch
- jute cord
- thin ribbon
- small animal for her to hold
- doll hair
- hot glue
- Cut a 6 inch circle from fabric, gather in center so it fans out as a dress. You can glue half of a small doily to the front as an apron if you'd like as I did in picture.
- Hot glue a 5/8 inch spool to the underside of dress at center. Glue the large spool to this spool, off centered a bit. She will sit on this spool.
- Cut an 8 inch length of jute and fold to form legs. Glue to top of large spool at the fold.
- String 2 small spools and a 1/2 inch round wood bead on each piece of jute. Tie at ends as shown in picture.
- Cut another piece of jute 8 inches and glue to top of dress at center forming arms. String 1 small spool and a 3/8 inch wood bead to each side, tie the ends of the jute.
- Glue hair then the hat. Yarn can be used for hair if needed. Make a small bow and glue to her neck.
- Glue the animal to the tip of each of her hands. A small book can be used also. If you'd like you can add wings and make her an angel.
By Myst from Muncie, IN
Related Content(article continues below)
Read More Comments
December 30, 20100 found this helpful
What a super project! Really clear instructions and photos. I will be using this in my craft club with my students. Thanks very much.
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
Where can you get small spools, 1/2 inch long for making tiny spool dolls?
January 13, 20140 found this helpful
Check out craft stores like AC Moore or Michaels. I got mine from there to make Christmas trees in small and medium spools.
What is the finished length of the doll in the project?
Are there any patterns for making male spool dolls?
By Sallie from eastbound WA
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on February 26, 2017 at 1:45:01 AM on 10.0.0.173 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us