Making a Thread Spool Pin Cushion

Category Sewing
Use an old spool to make these cute and handy pin cushions. This is a guide about making a thread spool pin cushion.

Make this very cute and quick craft for the person in your family who loves to sew. And yes, that includes you!

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 1 per pattern

Source: I saw it on pinterest and recreated my own version using a stronger center

• 5 yd scrap tan and your choice of "thread" color yarn ($.50)
  • 1 piece of scrap hard paper or plastic tube, about 2" long
  • 1 size J hook
  • scissors
  • 1 cool temp hot glue gun
  • 1 darning needle

1. With your hook, chain 2 and make a double in the last chain. Repeat this for 11 more. Join and chain 2 and make a double in that stitch and 2 in each around.
  2. Join and chain 2, decreasing one in each for 12 in each stitch around. Break off and work in the tails to the center. Stuff with batting or my preference, scraps of yarn.
  3. Ad

4. For the center of the spool, choose your support. I used the spacers from the white shelf units you snap together. You can also use a TP roll, but you may want to double the thickness for strength, using tape to secure them. I would stuff these too, really packing something in that will make is stronger like dry beans or barley.
  5. With the stuffed ends, hot glue them to the center.
  6. With your choice of "thread" color, begin wrapping it from one end to the other and when you feel it's thick enough, simply thread the end into the spool and cut. Fill with pins and needles.
  7. Ad

This is really cute.:)

I think I would make instead of a pin cushion (that I will make for myself) but for a child it would make a little foot stool for a play house.

The footstool idea is great. You could make it also, out of a cat treat can. They are pretty tiny. Glad it inspired you!