Making Dog Clothes Out of Baby Clothes

Category Sewing
You can make dog clothes out of used baby clothes for your small dog. With modifications you can make cute outfits to help your little dog stay warm.

How can I alter a baby's dress to fit a Chihuahua mixed dog? Do you have a pattern or video show on where I should cut and alter the baby dress?

Answers

Best Answer

Pinterest has a ton of patterns and ideas. Some are free.

www.pinterest.com/.../?lp=true

My Camel Ann was a dachshund and weighed 13 pounds and wore a human 2T tee shirt (we used to put these on her when she had things we didn't want her to scratch or bite at or when it it was too warm for a sweater but too cold to leave her "undressed").

The trick is to keep the item away from the "bathroom" zone! We usually selected shirts that came about 4-5 inches down her back leaving the tush area free and clear.

We also looked for shirts (I just used store bought from Dollar General or Goodwill) with roomy arm holes so we rarely had to make any adjustments--I would think this would work with dresses too.

Depending on the size of your Chihuahua I am thinking a newborn size may be the best place to start with the sizing. Once you find the size there are so many options!!

Play around with store bought items from Goodwill or yard sales when you can get them dirt cheap--you can modify them with embellishments (be sure nothing that she can choke on) and have fun with it!

Post back finished products!!!

Best Answer

These can be so cute and the puppies know they are adorable in all these yummy outfits.

Videos are good but my son's Chihuahua did not like all the "extra" fluff/fullness of the dresses so he has a bikini harness that he puts on over the dress outfit that helps to keep it snug but still cute.

He uses my pinking shears to cut away the extra material and we just make a few random "tacks" and it's all done in just a few minutes.
I find lots of cute dresses and other baby clothes at local thrift stores for $.25 - $1.
We give away anything the pup does not like.

Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes
I got a puppy for my birthday. He's a Chihuahua and gets very cold but I didn't want to spend that kind of money to buy dog clothes, so I went to the thrift store and bought a bunch of baby clothes and turned the legs, arms, and torso of the baby clothes into doggy shirts, pj's, hoodies, and a pup pouch.

The pup pouch is so that I can zip him (it's actually a bag with a hood on it) to keep him warm but allowing me to carry him around outside without having to wrap him up in my coat and getting covered in little black dog hairs. These are the first things I've sewn in a very long time! Please let me know what can I do differently? Thanks!

Marisa from Santa Maria, California

Answers:

Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

I made a nightgown for Ginger out of a leg of a flannel pair of pajamas. She just loves her new pink nightgown. (03/24/2008)

By Heidi Chun

RE: Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

Those are very cute, you did a nice job. I have two Chis and they love their fleece. I have made them coats out of it and they have tons of fleece blankets all over the house. We live in a cold climate (SD) so they have heating pads in their beds, which I leave on low ALL WINTER. If there is a spot of sun....they find it. Mine are adults and very small, about 4 pounds each. (03/24/2008)

By Gayle

Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

I'm very impressed! (03/25/2008)

By Holly

Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

Aww, that's so adorable! My boy David is about 20 pounds so he fits into baby clothes. Here is a pic of him and his dad in their flannels. The sleeves even fit him just right! (03/26/2008)

By Lily

Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

And here is Mr. David in his Chicago Bulls coat. These came right from the local Goodwill store! (03/26/2008)

By Lily

Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

Adorable, great job! I have done this for a long time, buying cute baby clothes for my tiny Yorkie. I used to get the cute Christmas kitchen towels adding Velcro to make him quick coats. With my shih/poo I do the same thing. I buy infant clothes and adjust to his size, though the 3 month vests fit him perfect and I prefer the sweater type. I did find a lot of cute fuzzy fleece vests and they have buttons. So cute. I think your doggy is precious and quite the model! If you run into sizing problems Velcro is a quick fix and easy.

Your idea is great and lots will learn. I always cut arms off old sweaters for my doggy. I just got some cute sweaters for dogs on clearance at a pet store. We just go to visit. Have fun and enjoy your fur baby. (03/26/2008)

By Annie Rios Hill

Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

You know what's funny? My sister always thought it might be cruel to put clothes on dogs, until she figured out that her little dog actually LIKES to get dressed up! What happens is: Whenever my sister gets the box with the dog clothes out of her closet, her dog starts jumping up and down. And when my sister picks out what the dog will wear that day, the dog takes it in her mouth and runs around the house with it, then brings it back for her to put it on. My-Oh-My! The dog actually LIKES to get dressed up! Surprise, surprise! (04/02/2008)

By Cyinda

Crafts SewingAugust 5, 2019
😎
📓
🐛
🌻