Making Your Own Colored Elastic

I am making a necklace out of wooden beads that are light in color, but have a wooden tone to them. How would I color the elastic I am using? I do not want white or black elastic to show so would prefer a brown or "tannish" color. I thought of using tea, but did not know if the acid in the tea would effect the elastic. I am concerned that marking pens might rub off on the wearer.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Linda from WA

Use Clear Elastic Instead

There's a great clear elastic made just for stringing beads, and it costs very little. My daughter and I have made many bracelets with it, and are real pleased with the way it blends in. You can find it at craft stores. Make sure you put clear nail polish on the knots before you trim off the extra.

By Londa

Use Coffee or Tea

Years ago, I worked in a showroom and watched the clothing designers use both coffee and tea to dye samples for their lines before using the final fabrics. I have been using this trick ever since. It will not harm the elastic, just make sure you rinse it and let it dry before you use it.

By Sheilamay

Steep In A Cup Of Tea

I'd try just steeping white elastic in a cup of tea. Rinse and let it dry in the sun after staining.

By Wendy from Oz

Use Separator Beads

If the tea dye doesn't come out to the color you want, you can hide the elastic by putting a tiny bead between each of the main beads.

By Kimhis

Natural Dyes

Use coffee, tea, beet juice, or onion skins boiled in water to dye the elastic. Vegetables make wonderful, colorful dyes. You certainly wouldn't have to worry about it coming off of the elastic plus it could come close to the tones in your wooden beads. Simply drop the elastic in one of the above solutions for several minutes to achieve the color tone, rinse in cold water and air dry.

Permanent Marker

Use a brown (or color choice) permanent marker. Stretch the elastic a bit as you color, with some scrap paper underneath to protect your table surface from marker damage.

By CJean

Feel free to post your ideas below!

Making Your Own Colored Elastic
Cat playing With Elastic Cat Toy
Dangers of Elastic Cat Toys
Repairing the Elastic on Fitted Sheets
Elastic for Clothing
Saving Money on Elastic for Clothing
girl in a summer dress
Repairing Elastic Smocking on a Dress