Mary's Chicken Cacciatore

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 4 passes around the pan of olive oil
  • 8 bone-in chicken breast halves or
  • Ad
  • a whole chicken cut up
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced or coarsely chopped
  • 1 green pepper, sliced or chopped to equal about a cup**
  • 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped OR
  • 2 cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 3/4 cup chicken stock
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • Hot cooked thin spaghetti noodles

Directions

Combine flour, salt and pepper in a paper bag and give it a shake to mix. Meanwhile heat the olive oil at medium high in a heavy bottomed skillet. Drop chicken a piece or two at a time into the bag and shake to coat each piece with flour. Place chicken pieces into the pan and cook on both sides, until nicely brown. While chicken is browning chop the onion, garlic, mushrooms and green pepper, keeping each separate. Turn the pan down to medium low; remove chicken, reserving drippings, and set chicken aside on a paper towel to drain.

Add the onion to the drippings and cook over medium low until tender, about 5 minutes, taking care not to burn them. Toss in garlic and briefly cook. Stir in the mushrooms and next 7 ingredients, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, add chicken back to pan, and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes, turning and stirring occasionally.

Stir in green pepper, distributing it around the pan; continue cooking the chicken, uncovered, for an additional 30 minutes, turning and stirring occasionally. Remove chicken and set aside; discard bay leaves. Toss cooked spaghetti noodles into the sauce and turn onto individual serving plates. Top with chicken and enjoy!

Approximately 8 servings.

**You can substitute a mix of fresh or frozen peppers to equal about 1 cup. Also, since I can't get my husband near a mushroom, pepper or nearly any vegetable really, I also chop all the vegetables up to disguise them. He has no idea, says it's very delicious and practically licks his plate! Sssh . don't say a word!

By Mary from Ocean Springs, MS

Answers:

Mary's Chicken Cacciatore

I'm just reading issues I never got to before and found this recipe. I think those chicken breasts in the freezer are going to be part of this! Looks delicious and I'll bet the aroma is just wonderful!
Thanks for sharing! (01/30/2007)

By mikki

Mary's Chicken Cacciatore
Celebrating Las Posadas (The Nativity)
Celebrating Las Posadas (The Nativity)
Chicken a la King in puff pastry shell
Chicken A' La King Recipes
Chicken Cacciatore
Chicken Cacciatore Recipes
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume
🎉
🎄