Melted Crayons Off Car Seat

My niece left a yellow crayon in the back seat of my car and it melted. Does anybody have any tips on how I can get this out without damaging the fabric? I chipped away most of it but there's still a big yellow spot where is melted into the weave of the fabric.

Amber from Nashvegas

Answers:

Melted Crayons Off Car Seat

Best thing to do is scrape off as much of the crayon as possible with a blunt knife. Vacuum the residue.

Place brown paper over the stain and iron on a medium heat until all crayon wax has transferred onto the paper. (10/04/2006)

By Scottish Girl

Melted Crayons Off Car Seat

Happened to me too. 4 Year old fun! Whoopee.

I tried multiple approaches. 1st scraping off excess with credit card 2nd lifting with medium steam iron, old towels, and paper towels, 3rd Goo Gone, 4th WD-40, 5th upholstery shampoo.

Lots of work, but finally have it nearly unnoticeable, except for one slight problem. Left the iron in one spot too long, and have a slight discoloration from that. Bummer. That was my only mistake. Be very careful with the iron.

I would do it almost the same way again, except, I'd use the WD-40 first and Goo-Gone second, because the GooGone is citrus, and leaves a nice smell, while WD-40 leaves an unpleasant chemical odor. Also the WD-40 dissolves the crayon much faster.

If you don't have GooGone then I'd follow up the WD-40 with some other nice smelling upholstery cleaner, and a steam-vac if you have one. (05/01/2007)

By jere

Melted Crayons Off Car Seat

Using tips from this web page, I just now cleaned up some crayons melted into the fabric of my car seat. Here's what I did:

1) scrape off as much of the crayon as you can. (using putty knife, old credit card, etc.)
2) spray WD-40 on crayon residue
3) wipe off with paper towells
4) repeat steps 2 & 3 until the mess is gone

It worked!!! (05/29/2007)

By Justin

Melted Crayons Off Car Seat

WD-40 worked like a charm. (07/22/2007)

By Tony A.