Multitasking Your Oven

Category Baking
Multitasking Oven
Once your oven is hot, there may other foods you can bake to save time and energy. This is a guide about multitasking your oven.

I always tried to bake multiple items in the oven when I need to use it. It's cost efficient and saves time and energy too! Today I am in the process of cooking down pumpkin for a pie and making appetizers for a party. I figured I would add two hamburger patties into the oven and have tonight's dinner ready as well!

I always mix some of my ground meat into hamburger patties before freezing them, then place them in a freezer bag with wax paper between them for easy removal when needed! Even my husband can make supper sometimes and it's great for a quick meal after shopping or working all day!

My mum showed me how to save on gas. She is all about maximizing the uses of ovens and other appliances. This involves some planning, but saved me $110.00 in 8 months!

She said that I would have to make my oven multitask, should I use it. If I baked a cake, she told me to mix up a batch of cookies and muffins and, so that the oven was packed to its capacity. If I bake a pizza, I usually pour my marinara sauce and pasta sauce in a large pan or a cookie sheet and leave it in the oven after I turn it off. The oven gradually cools down and by that time my sauces are very well cooked. Incidentally, there are no spatters on the stove or the back-splash to clean up this way! One time I opened the oven after I turned it off and placed our plates. The guests were so happy with the warm plates.

Note to readers: This is just a direction to explore: you would have to customize it. You get the picture. Always plan ahead and use up all the heat. If nothing else, put a bowl of water with vinegar or baking soda in it and the fumes will leave your oven smelling clean and fresh! Do write back if it works for you and tell us how you have used your creativity to maximize the oven's potential.

Caution: You would have to pair foods so that their aromas do not clash. No vanilla wafers after pot roast...

By chlorophyll from Racine, WI