Multitasking Your Oven

My mum showed me how to save on gas. She is all about maximizing the uses of ovens and other appliances. This involves some planning, but saved me $110.00 in 8 months!

She said that I would have to make my oven multitask, should I use it. If I baked a cake, she told me to mix up a batch of cookies and muffins and, so that the oven was packed to its capacity. If I bake a pizza, I usually pour my marinara sauce and pasta sauce in a large pan or a cookie sheet and leave it in the oven after I turn it off. The oven gradually cools down and by that time my sauces are very well cooked. Incidentally, there are no spatters on the stove or the back-splash to clean up this way! One time I opened the oven after I turned it off and placed our plates. The guests were so happy with the warm plates.

Note to readers: This is just a direction to explore: you would have to customize it. You get the picture. Always plan ahead and use up all the heat. If nothing else, put a bowl of water with vinegar or baking soda in it and the fumes will leave your oven smelling clean and fresh! Do write back if it works for you and tell us how you have used your creativity to maximize the oven's potential.

Caution: You would have to pair foods so that their aromas do not clash. No vanilla wafers after pot roast...

By chlorophyll from Racine, WI

I've baked potatoes in the oven while baking casseroles & baked beans, before. If you can't serve the potatoes that night, use them for cottage fries for the next mornings breakfast.