Musty Smell in Basement

Hello,
Could anyone tell me how to get a musty smell out of the basement? I run a dehumidifier daily and I have tried vinegar, baking soda and Lysol but it still smells.

Thanks,

Beverly

Answers:

Musty Smell in Basement

When I lived in Tennessee we had a basement for several years. I was much younger then and I would dump bleach on the floor, use the hose to spread it and then swept it down the drain. I have also used household ammonia but you have to use a mask for that. Hope you get rid of that smell. (08/11/2007)

By MartyD

Musty Smell in Basement

Get several bags of kitty litter (cheap off brands are okay), slit them open and place around your basement.
(08/11/2007)

By perfume and powder

Musty Smell in Basement

Open a bag of charcoal (or two) and put it in your basement. (08/12/2007)

By Birdy123

Musty Smell in Basement

I bought something in the dollar store that was supposed to collect moisture in the basement. It was a small plastic container with pellets and a space that would eventually fill up with water. I put two of them on the floor in my basement where the floor would get damp. Well it did fill with water! It took maybe about 6 weeks; I really didn't note when I put them down. To make a long story short, just this morning I was looking to find this type of product on the internet and came up with the following which seems to work on the same principle and it's cheap. Read the Help link. It mentions dampness, musty, mildew, etc. and it's not electric. Hope this helps.

http://www.nationalmarineproducts.com/Non_Electric_Air_Dehumidifiers_s/4.htm (08/14/2007)

By bettyboop5382

Musty Smell in Basement

If you use charcoal, stir it weekly so it keeps on working. (08/14/2007)

By cookwie

Musty Smell in Basement

We got water in our basement while on vacation. Everything got wet and started to mildew by the time we got back. All cardboard boxes and contents were ruined. We got Odo-Ban from Sam's and diluted it into a spray bottle. After washing the floors, we sprayed it. You would never know there was anything moldy or mildewy down there. Works great. (08/14/2007)

By Nancy

Musty Smell in Basement

We don't have basements in Texas where I live, but I remember when I lived in Illinois, we had that problem with an old house. You need something to absorb the moisture. Either scatter charcoal around (you can get it at Greenhouses specially for this). It is what they use in Cat Litter, or there are commercial products in little buckets that you open and set around. (08/15/2007)

By ruthvalley gal

Musty Smell in Basement

I have used this with great success. Get a pop flat made of cardboard from your local store (you might want to get a few) add charcoal (without lighter fluid on) put it in the flat then add Epsom salts (the kind you soak in) over the top! This should help, I changed mine on a monthly basis. (08/17/2007)

By crazimom

Musty Smell in Basement

We just bought a house in the "wet lands" of CT. The house has been closed up for well over a year and the musty smell is horrible through the whole house. The basement/family room being the worst! Thanks for the tips. I bought the dehumidifier a couple days ago (LG 65pints). My husband & I will be burning the wood stove for a couple days this weekend- in hopes to dry it out some. I'm on the lookout for charcoal. I'll keep you posted. (03/06/2008)

By Veronica

Musty Smell in Basement

I have an oscillating fan that I turn on for 2-3 hours each day. Works wonderful. Really does the trick. (03/27/2008)

By Sammi

Musty Smell in the Basement
Getting Rid of a Musty Smell in the Basement
cleaning bucket
Eliminating Musty Smells from a Room
Must Leather Couch
Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
Old Stained Book Laying Open
Removing Musty Smell from Books
Bucket catching leak.
Cleaning Up a Water Leak in Basement
🎉
🎄