I have a very musty smelly basement. I may have someone staying with us who could live down there. Besides a dehumidifier or those retail water absorbers that you buy what can I do about the odor? Any tried and true secrets for the basement?
By spoostad from CT
If your basement is damp, it may be due to sealing it up and keeping windows closed. You are better off ventilating the basement by opening windows for cross-ventilation from April to October. Using the dehumidifier too much can be a hazard sometimes, because a humidifier will remove the water vapor from the air, which is good, but will also pull water vapor through the concrete slab, making unnecessary work. In cold weather, the basement should be dry, and there should be no need for ventilation or de-humidification, which costs big bucks. (08/20/2009)
There is a product called Odoban, comes in a gallon jug and is highly concentrated it works wonderfully at removing any odor. You can clean with it and then mix a spray bottle up mixed with water and use it to spray on carpet, couch, pillows, drapes, just about anything. This product is the greatest. I even use to clean the barn and you would not know there were animals living in there. I buy it at Home Depot. (08/22/2009)
If you like the smell of olives, then dust the basement area with olive leaf powder. Not only will OLP eliminate the musty smell, it will also keep any mold from forming. Use of a dehumidifier, along with the dusting of olive leaf powder, will do it. Peace and blessings.
Joyce in CT (08/23/2009)
I have used Odo Ban in a spray which I have purchased from Walmart and it says it is pet friendly. Nice scent. I have used Simple Green as well which is nontoxic. With both I spray carpet and wipe down stuff.
I have also used white vinegar left in bowls around the room. Spritzed the carpet as well. Takes longer for the vinegar scent to disappear, but it is a disinfectant and mold killer as well.
Lavender essential oil is another good disinfectant. Mix about 8 drops with water in a spray bottle and have at it.
If it's that musty, then it's that damp, and the only real solution is to dry it up. Otherwise you are just covering it up. Molds in the air can make you sick. Get a dehumidifier. (08/25/2009)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!