My Child's Hair is Not Growing

Young girl pulling on her hair
Almost everyone's hair grows at a similar rate. Sometimes there may be factors that effect this growth rate. This is a guide about my child's hair is not growing.

My daughter's hair has stopped growing? What vitamins can my daughter of 4 take?

By MigLiz from WA

She is 4. Take her to the doctor. This could be a symptom of something more serious than hair not growing.

For hair that never seems to grow but is not patchy, check out Short Anagen Syndrome or Loose Anagen Syndrome. These are hair disorders diagnosed by a dermatologist. There is a large community of both on Facebook under 'Short Anagen Syndrome, Hair Disorder'.

I also have a daughter that is 5 and her hair will not grow ether. She also suffers from phorisis (a skin disorder) and asma. Now her phorisis is full body and we finally got it under control. It took us to take her to a dermatolist and he put her on 3 different creams for her skin, and tested her for streph throat.

So everyone who is suffering from this other skin disorder please ask more questions because phoriasis is misdianosed in a lot of patients and a lot of doctors say it is something else when it's not, and the flar ups are caused by streph throat.

As for the hair not growing we still have not figured out what is going on with our daughter so if anyone has any ideas please let me know then. I am thinking of takin her back to her dermatologist to see what he thinks now that we have her skin under control. Good luck everyone and God bless.

I believe i can be a couple of reason to why there not growing number one is bad bacteria that causes parasites they're eating the roots so the hair can't grow. #2 we have good genes and dad genes and when our body isn't getting the right nutrition the good gene switch turns to its off position. And the bad genes are then turn on. what causes that its the body is not getting the right nutrition it needs. Let me know if your looking for the right nutrition. i know of one that is the words #1 epigenetic nutrition. that can work within your genes .

I have a five year old daughter who has fairly thin and curly hair. It doesn't seem to be growing, she also suffers from asthma and eczema. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I could speed up the growing process. Also, because of her eczema she has no eyebrows. Her pediatrician keeps giving her these hydrocortisone creams that don't work. Please help.

Momonabudget from Griffin, GA

Answers:

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

Try thyroid testing. (01/23/2007)

By Ri

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

I read thru this post (even though it's from back in April,'07) and didn't see anywhere that Hair Nails and Skin vitamins were mentioned, so I thought I would list it. I found out about it because I am bipolar so after years of a variety of medicines my hair was thinning at a horrifying rate every day. It seems to have slowed a little bit.

Here's a link to the search results: http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=ytff1-msgrandp=hair%20nail%20%26%20skin%20vitaminsandei=UTF-8 (07/23/2007)

By melody_yesterday

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

I don't know what advice you've received, but eczema is worse with dry skin. A good moisturizer (without alcohol) like oatmeal lotion, Eucerin, or Sarno lotion helps. Also flaxseed oil and other omega 3 fatty acids will help her skin and hair. This may take up to 2 months to notice improvement.

Pay close attention to her diet staying away from sweets, (anything with more than 9 grams of sugar is too sweet) and high salt (anything above 500mg of sodium is too high in salt). Good luck and keep us posted. (03/15/2008)

By Ruby

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

Let me just tell you straight up. A lot of doctors over diagnose eczema. They diagnosed my daughter with eczema when she broke out at 3 months of age. I knew it was not eczema because I had had it as a child. I asked for like 4 opinions until finally the nurse at her doctor's office told me it was another form of cradle cap which is very similar to eczema, but is caused by bacteria. She recommended washing the child's hair with Selsun Blue shampoo. I'll tell you one thing, my daughter's skin cleared up in a month.

My little sister who was diagnosed with the same condition continued to use hydrocotizone creams and all that stuff until her mother got frustrated like me and tried the Selsum Blue. Her skin cleared up as well. (I mean my little sister would scratch until she was bleeding and then her sores would get infected and leave dark scars). It worked. I just thought that would be helpful. It really works. Give it a month. It won't hurt. (05/29/2008)

By Maya

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

Try keeping her skin clean, make sure that it doesn't go more than two days without a wash. Try moisturizing, that works best. As for her hair, don't over brush it, this can cause some breakage and thinning. Only brush it enough to get the tangles out. Oh, yeah, and try changing her sheets, this could help with the eczema. Make sure she changes her clothes every day. If nothing helps, try going to a herbal/natural store, the employees are always very knowledgeable and helpful, they can recommend something that might help. (01/21/2009)

By guest

I have a five year old daughter who has fairly thin and curly hair. It doesn't seem to be growing, she also suffers from asthma and eczema. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I could speed up the growing process. Also, because of her eczema she has no eyebrows. Her pediatrician keeps giving her these hydrocortisone creams that don't work. Please help!

Momonabudget from Griffin, GA

Answers:

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

I don't know where you live, but discount grocers has cod liver oil caps for $1.49. A recent study came out regarding Vitamin D and lack of it appears to show a connection to just about every disease you can imagine. Cod liver oil also contains a. The oil omega acids and the vitamins are shown to help with skin problems and general well being, as well as growth. Adults are supposed to take 1000u/kids prob 400u. (04/11/2006)

By Penny K

By momonabudget

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

Does she take a kids multivitamin? That's real important to support her growing body, including hair, teeth, and nails, and esp if considering limiting some of her food like the previous post suggests. I'm experiencing thinning hair myself, and I'm 48. I've started taking B12 and prenatal vitamins (no, I'm NOT pg), and it seems to have helped. Good luck, and God bless you all. (04/11/2006)

By Tripleb

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

I'm sure you've already tried it but we use eucerin on our daughter's eczema. It has worked fairly well. Our first doctor told us to limit baths and prescribed cortisone cream after cortisone cream. Finally we just got another doctor who was willing to work with us. If your doctor doesn't, remember they are your employee - not the other way around. (04/11/2006)

By sueey

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

Prescription for Nutritional Healing book (you can look at one free in most health food stores and at public libary) recommends a diet that has no sugar and no flour for most of these problems. (04/11/2006)

By Peggy

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

My husband has severe skin probs since Gulf War and numerous prescrtiptions later hydrocort. etc and no relief. I tried afro products and some help with castor oil hair treatments. For the face the thing that works the best is use Aboloen face cream for removing makeup with. He slathers it on face lets it sit for a while then with warm washcloth takes it off and no flaky skin. Trust me we have been married over 10 years and I have tried costly lotions, Aveno,
namebrands etc and this cheap Aboloene works. Just try it once! (04/11/2006)

By meoowmom

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

I'd like to offer a suggestion about the ezcema. Our youngest (now 10) suffered from a bad case of ezcema on the back of her hands.

Lotions and creams (even the medicated ones) would burn and her hands frequently were so cracked they bled.

On my hunt one day for yet another over the counter something/anything (latest prescription cream wasn't working ... again!) I spoke with the sales person of our local grocery store. She, too, had had severe ezcema on her hands (hard to believe because her skin was now was flawless).

She said her dermatologist recommended she mix a combination of miconazole and lotion and apply it at least 6(!) times a day. She did see improvement; however, the treatment was labor intensive.

Then she realized miconazole nitrate is in Lotrimin antifungal powder spray (yes, it's an athlete's foot product). She sprayed it on her hands just before going to bed at night and right after getting up in the morning (she'd wash it off before going to work). Within two weeks her skin was clear. She occasionally has flare-ups and will spray her hands a night or two and the ezcema will go away.

Needless to say, I was more than skeptical but desperate. We tried it and saw improvement the first night. We only used it at night and within a week her hands were not only healed, they were soft and smooth. We now use it as needed.

I think the trick is to use a lot (leave the skin white). Yes, some of the powder will come off on the sheets ... I'd rather wash extra laundry than see my child crying, bleeding, and in pain any day of the week. Good luck! (04/12/2006)

By Kathryn

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

Maybe the cortisone is actually working, after all, but on the hair.

You need a good pediatric dermatologist - if they're not in the same city, write and send good photos.

I don't think long-term cortisone is any help to a small girl, at best. Please check on the side effects. Read the PDR. Your pharmacist should have a page or two on this medication.

(04/12/2006)

By the Oracle

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

My son had infant excema and the pediatrician had him off all dairy products. Used soy formula and then soy milk until he was about 6 years old. He also had a hydrocortisone prescription (2.5%) to rub on the 'spots' when they flared up. Looked like chicken pox. Seemed to work. He's 22 now and fine, with lots of natural curly, thick hair. Good luck. (04/13/2006)

By Vanet Uvino@eye82much@juno.com

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

I suggest you get see a naturopathic practioner. They will be able tell you what specifially your daughter has food sensitivties it as well as provide all treatment to eliminate the cause of her problems not just treat the symptoms she has. When my daughter was having eczema problems, my ND was the only person who was able to give treatment that worked. We combined a diet that eliminated her specific food sensitivies for a month(wheat, dairy, sugar, potatos, goats milk and oats), while doing a homeopathic cleansing remedy and taking probiotics to rebalance her digestive flora. In over a year she has not had anymore problems with eczema. The problem with Hydrocortisone cream will eventually thin the skin and could potentially make her problems worse. It also doesn't help with the root of what is causing her to have awful skin problems. Also an ND may be able to tell you if your daughter is lacking in a certain nutirient that would cause her hair to either not grow or grow very slowly. They may also be able to help you find a remedy that either greatly lessens or cures completely her asthma. I don't have any personal experience with asthma, but I do know that my ND has been able to help my family with ailments where MD's have failed to find a cause.
HTHS (04/13/2006)

By Amie

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

Has your daughter been tested for allergies? My son also has eczema and asthma... along with a few food allergies. Our allergist, who has also been a pulmonary specialist for 40 years told me that most kids with eczema have food allergies... and most likely an egg allergy. She put my son on Singular, Protopic, and Qvar-inhaler, these have helped him tremendously. Hope this helps. (04/21/2006)

By Nicci

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

I had a cousin that was practically bald with wispy white blonde hair that wouldn't grow. Her mom took her to an old barber and he "singed" the ends of her hair and it for some reason stimulated the hair to grow. Good luck! (05/03/2006)

By wichypoo

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

I'm glad I came on this website, I have a six year old with long thick hair and I recently found out that he has asthma and that allergies, ezcema and asthma go hand in hand. He has ezcema all over and he is suffering, the worse is in his scalp but reading everyones postings I have gotten several suggestions. Thank you so much everyone. (05/11/2006)

By Heather

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

I am an adult female and I have alopecia totalis. That means my scalp is completely bald. I am also missing my eyebrows and eyelashes. There are three forms of alopecia: (1) alopecia areata (usually spots are missing on scalp, an eyebrow can be missing but the other one still there, etc.); (2) alopecia totalis (bald scalp); and (3) alopecia universalis (all body hair from head to toe is gone). To find out more, go to: www.naaf.org

There currently is no cure for alopecia but there are many experimental treatments which are most likely not covered under insurance which is why I am doing absolutely nothing to treat my alopecia. It can affect young and old alike. There are message boards on the site above where people address issues related to this unpredictable disease. I also have eczema & use Protopic with much success. I have learned that alopecia, eczema, psoriasis, etc. are all in the autoimmune disorder family.

If your daughter's eyebrows are missing, that sounds like alopecia to me, but I am not a doctor. (05/16/2006)

By Victoria

My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

I had a daughter who was the same way. I really haven't done anything. Her hair finally did grow but very slowly. I only give her one hair cut a year and condition a lot. Her hair is thin and curly but I never layered it. Now she is about to go to high school and her hair is below her shoulders. It could never grow much longer. It is still thin, but she looks fine. My other daughter has the bald spots that someone else wrote about, they show up periodically, 1 every year or so... I do think it may be genetically related. (06/13/2006)

By Em