My Dog is Constipated

My Dog is Constipated. I have a 8 year old brown Kelpie and he is constipated. Does this come with age? How does one fix the problem? I am very thankful for all your answers.

Toni from Australia

Answers:

My Dog is Constipated

I would ask the vet if age is an issue. One definite problem is that store-brand and low end dog foods contain a lot of corn and wheat, which can actually contribute to constipation if they don't get enough protien and fat/oils. I swear by fish oil for my dog's healthy coat and regular movements! I switched to Diamond Brand dog food (don't know if they carry it there) but read the label, and if it does not have a meat product or by product as one of it's first three ingredients, or if corn is number one, find something else! You may also need to switch to canned, as it is easier to digest and is generally better for hydration and nutrient absorption. Just make it gradual so he doesn't get the runs!

I am also a Shaklee distributor, which provides a gambit of vitamin and herbal supplements. They have no artificial ingredients or fillers, so they have a maximum potency and absorption rate. You may check out my website at www.healthyhomeworld.com and leave me a message if you have any questions, or I can email you more info. (07/12/2006)

By camo_angels

My Dog is Constipated

Talk to your vet! The dog could have a serious problem. (07/14/2006)

By Robin

My Dog is Constipated

When my older dog got constipated, the vet suggested a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie mix) daily until things started happening. I have Pomeranians, so if you've got a larger dog, you may need a bit more. Usually took 2-3 days, and I'd give him a bit for a couple days more, but be careful. If you give too much, things may progress too rapidly, and you may have issues of the opposite sort! (07/14/2006)

By dj_pinkey

My Dog is Constipated

When my dog used to get constipated i would put a tablespoon of caster oil in her food. That would usually do the trick. If this problem continues on please see a vet. As it can be a symptom of something else. GOOD LUCK. (07/14/2006)

By Kim

My Dog is Constipated

We have an 8 year old Westie that weighs about 18 lbs. He was a rescue dog and had bad problems with constipation when we first got him. We discovered that feeding him a dry food only (Beneful) and not wet food (we had been feeding the little foil sealed tubs) helped alot. Lots of fresh clean water and exercise. He had a problem with his anal glands and I think that contributed to the problem as they stayed enlarged and bothered him. The dry food seems to "work" them and they are not much of a problem. We get them expressed every so often but they are really not too much of an issue. We still give him treats from table foods but not complete meals. Its hard not to spoil him cause rescue dogs appreciate what you do for them and especially good food so much. So if you get him checked by the vet and there are no bad issues going on, these suggestions might help. Good Luck! (07/15/2006)

By Darlene

My Dog is Constipated

Stress of any kind, shortage of water, and lack of animal fat can be the culprits. I wouldn't wait too long after trying these ideas. Hopefully you don't have a sand box or kitty litter that he gets into?
(08/04/2006)

By Lynda

My Dog is Constipated
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
A happy dog standing up.
Training a Dog to Stop Mounting (Humping) People
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
🎉
🎄