Home Remedies for Constipated Cats

Category Cats
Like their human caretakers, kitties can become constipated. Some pet owners prefer to try to treat this initially at home prior to seeking the services of a vet. This is a guide about home remedies for constipated cats.

My cat Mamie is having a lot of trouble going to the bathroom; I've looked up her symptoms that are exactly like those of being constipated. I have to feed her wet cat food, because she only has 11 teeth now, and I need "actual recipes" that I can find in stores. I don't mean the "science labeled pills and what not" that I can't find at the store, Walmart, because it doesn't carry those items!

Can someone tell me or even show me a site that will give me an actual recipe to follow so I can make my cat something to help her? Maybe even something for the sassy and picky eater that is currently attacking my computer screen? I would use the food the vet would give us, but she refuses to eat it and literally pushes the bowl away from her and towards the stairs.

Answers

Best Answer

Hi Alyssa, my old cat also had problems going to the toilet after an operation to remove his teeth, I ground up 3 small pieces of all bran and added it to his food after 3 days of adding half the ground all bean, he was back to normal. Hope this helps,

Best Answer

You can also add pure pumpkin. Make sure it is not pie filling. You can add 1 tsp to their food. This helps with constipation.

Best Answer

You might try adding slippery elm bark powder to her food.

What can be done with constipated cats without a $300 vet bill?

By TBob from Dallas, TX

Answers

Best Answer

Vet had me once feed my cat tuna packed in oil, without draining the oil. He also suggested i add olive or veggie oil to her food but, if its an indoor cat, prepare for a possible mess when it works. :(

Best Answer

Per my vet, for my guy that gets constipated from hairballs:

1/4 tsp of flavorless Metamucil mixed in with his wet food everyday for a week then cut back to every other day. No more issues, he goes with out straining and doesn't cough up them hairballs hardly ever.

Best Answer

Add about a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling) to some canned cat food. Our cat thinks it's a real treat. It really helps with their digestion.