Recipe for Cat with Constipation

My cat Mamie is having a lot of trouble going to the bathroom; I've looked up her symptoms that are exactly like those of being constipated. I have to feed her wet cat food, because she only has 11 teeth now, and I need "actual recipes" that I can find in stores. I don't mean the "science labeled pills and what not" that I can't find at the store, Walmart, because it doesn't carry those items!

Can someone tell me or even show me a site that will give me an actual recipe to follow so I can make my cat something to help her? Maybe even something for the sassy and picky eater that is currently attacking my computer screen? I would use the food the vet would give us, but she refuses to eat it and literally pushes the bowl away from her and towards the stairs.

Best Answer

Hi Alyssa, my old cat also had problems going to the toilet after an operation to remove his teeth, I ground up 3 small pieces of all bran and added it to his food after 3 days of adding half the ground all bean, he was back to normal. Hope this helps,

Anonymous

My 15 year old cat is having problems within try poop. I have salt that with one eighth of a teaspoon twice a day of Miralax. What a blessing!

Best Answer

You might try adding slippery elm bark powder to her food.

Roughage is at essence, something the bowel cannot digest fully. It pushes the food through the bowel. Biscuits usually provide this roughage. So you need to bypass the chewing process to get that roughage into her digestive system.

Have you tried warming the biscuits in some stock or cat milk? That way all the nutrients and roughage is still present you've just cut out the chewing stage.

Add some Miralax to her food. Start with just a pinch.

Best Answer

You can also add pure pumpkin. Make sure it is not pie filling. You can add 1 tsp to their food. This helps with constipation.

I bought "I and Love and You" canned cat food from chewy.com. My cat eats a little bit of dried food but mostly wet food. I bought the wascally rabbit and the chicken kind.

She really likes the rabbit. The cans have vegetables mixed in with the meat. She gets enough liquid from these and she urinates twice a day and poops every other day.

Hi, I put 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon of Miralax in a store bought cat broth. I hope to start making my own on weekends soon but until then, my cat still needs the Miralax. I use this myself, so I felt comfortable when the Vet told me to use it on my cat.
Regards,
Ellie

Your cat might need her anal glands expressed. Just like dogs they also have this problem. It is very painful and you need to go to a veterinarian to have it done.

It is very inexpensive. Canned pumpkin, without additives, helps a cat go however it does not correct the gland problem. If the glands burst you are looking at a large ER bill. Better to be pro-active.

My vet recommends a tsp to tblsp of pumpkin puree or plain yogurt or cottage cheese