Homemade Cat Food Recipes

Store bought food isn't always the best option for your cat. Whether its due to medical reasons or a picky eater, making your own cat food allows you to choose the ingredients in it. This page contains homemade cat food recipes.

Pet food in my area has gone up and the sales are not as good, if at all. The other day, the Kroger I was in had whole chickens on clearance, for 59 cents a pound. I will cook one, discard the bones and skin, dice it up and feed it to my cats, twice a day, instead of their can food. It's cheaper, and it's good for them. No fillers. I will store it in the fridge.

If you do not have multiple cats, as I do, simply put the diced chicken, in a big plastic, Ziploc bag, and get a handful out and zap it on defrost, each day.

By julrobs from North Augusta, SC Editor's Note: Be sure to feed your pets a balanced diet to ensure they are getting the proper nutrition. Chicken can supplement their normal diet but should not be the only source.

Cats need dessert too!

Directions:

Mix milk, yogurt, mayonnaise, and syrup together well. Bring 1 cup water to boil and mix in Knox gelatin. Set aside. Mix egg yolk with small amount of milk mixture and beat well. Add gelatin and water to milk mixture and beat well. Add in egg yolk mixture and beat well. Pour into Tupperware or like bowl (with cover) and set in refrigerator. Pudding will last for two weeks covered in refrigerator.

Very rich in calcium, this pudding can be used as a supplement for kittens, from birth on, sick cats, and show cats to put on weight. Several veterinarians have approved this recipe as being balanced and nutritious.

Source: My Vet

By Jodi from Aurora, CO

Make your own cat food by boiling 2 pounds pasta, 2 pound lentils, and 1 pound offal. Cool the mixture and blend to liquidize. Put in portion sized containers in the freezer. When it has thawed, it will have a meat-loaf consistency. Important to use offal rather than other meats for its strong flavour.

Editor's Note: Offal is the entrails and internal organs of a butchered animal. According to Wikipedia.

By Verity from London UK

Don't forget to bake for the cat!

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix dry ingredients together. Add molasses, egg, oil, and milk. Roll out flat onto oiled cookie sheet and cut into small, cat bite-sized pieces. Bake for 20 minutes.

Let cool and store in tightly sealed container.

By Jodi from Aurora, CO

My fussy cat has taken to liking the new broths available for cats, but they are expensive for very little and packaged badly so that I always spill a bit getting it out of the vacuum pack. She loves texture and liquid as she tends to lick her food rather than taking bites.

If anyone has a good broth recipe suitable for cats I'd love to see it, please.

By Pauline D

Answers

Best Answer

I got tired of paying for broth awhile back and started making my own. I save all chicken or turkey parts in the freezer. I usually have a lot of backs(back bones hide a number of small glands - adrenal, kidneys et. I pop them out as they have an off flavor), wings and leg bones etc. When the freezer gets crowded I take them all out put them in a pot and fill the pot with water. Simmer for 1 to 4 hours, let cool and strain thru a seive or cheesecloth to remove any small bones. if boiled for 4 hours you will have extracted the mineral content of the bones (calcium, magnesium, phosphorus) Now you can reduce the stock until it is the way you like it. I pour my stock into 8 oz plastic cups and freeze it. I use it to make soup, rice or whatever needs a flavor boost. One difference you will notice with the store bought stock is that yours will gel when it is cold. I am not sure how manufacturers keep the store bought stuff from gelling. It liquifies quickly when brought to room temp or a little more. You can add anything you like to broth while it is cooking. Onions, celery etc can vary the flavor and nutrition. My cats love it and I use it by the ton. A container of broth is approaching $3 at the store.

My cat Mamie is having a lot of trouble going to the bathroom; I've looked up her symptoms that are exactly like those of being constipated. I have to feed her wet cat food, because she only has 11 teeth now, and I need "actual recipes" that I can find in stores. I don't mean the "science labeled pills and what not" that I can't find at the store, Walmart, because it doesn't carry those items!

Can someone tell me or even show me a site that will give me an actual recipe to follow so I can make my cat something to help her? Maybe even something for the sassy and picky eater that is currently attacking my computer screen? I would use the food the vet would give us, but she refuses to eat it and literally pushes the bowl away from her and towards the stairs.

Answers

Best Answer

Hi Alyssa, my old cat also had problems going to the toilet after an operation to remove his teeth, I ground up 3 small pieces of all bran and added it to his food after 3 days of adding half the ground all bean, he was back to normal. Hope this helps,

Best Answer

You can also add pure pumpkin. Make sure it is not pie filling. You can add 1 tsp to their food. This helps with constipation.

Best Answer

You might try adding slippery elm bark powder to her food.

I have a cat with food allergies, which is hard to fight with processed cat food. Does anyone have a healthy homemade cat food recipe they can share without any added chemicals?

By Cris from Central CA

Answers

I have a cat that I feed a home made diet because he has epilepsy. He has less seizures on this diet. I use Lisa Piersons raw food recipe from www.catinfo.org. The site walks you through the recipe. I did buy a Tasin meat grinder because you need to grind the bones also, and most grinders cannot handle that. I use the cat vitamins from Only Natural Pets. The cat loves them. My cat has been on this diet for 5 years now and is very healthy. Good luck!

Okay here's a good natural cat food recipe!

1 tablespoon oats
1/2 banana, mashed
2 tablespoon plain yogurt
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 apple, chopped
2 ounces berries in season
10,000 i.u of Vitamin A from for example cod liver oil
150 i.u of Vitamin E
1 teaspoon of fresh raw vegetables e.g. carrot, spinach, herbs etc.

Preparation & Cooking:
Mix oats and bananas, blending well. Add yogurt, orange juice and apple immediately to prevent browning. Mash berries and add to mixture. Serve in small portions (1 tablespoon per cat); too much fruit can cause diarrhea in a digestive system that is not used to it.

(Submitted via email)

This is not a good recipe for cats and will lead to serious healthy problems. Cats are obligate carnivores and need to have meat in their diets to be healthy. kindlyroot's recipe does not include meat and is missing other important elements such as calcium and taurine that are important for cats.

Beth S.

Turkey breast meat (app. 3 lbs), 1/4" dice
Sweet potatoes (3) (baked & mashed)
1/4 cup each, nutritional yeast, ground flax
3 capsules taurine
1 Tbsp. whey protein powder
2 Tbsp. fish or krill oil

Mix well. Feed about 1/4 to 1/3 cup twice per day.

Anonymous

I just found your recipe. Is the meat cooked or raw? I have tried giving my 17 yr old raw meat in the past and he wouldn't touch it.

I want to make some food for my cat, any suggestions?

By Rob from Boston, MA

Answers

I make an all raw diet for my cats. If you are making more than an occasional snack it is good to understand the nutrition requirements for cat food. I got started using the catinfo.org website (see "making cat food"). My cats are thriving after 5 years on this website's recipes. The woman who put this recipe together is a vet and really understands nutrition.

Does anyone have a recipe for a cat gravy? I have a 19 year old and he will only lick the gravy from his food. I have worked for a veterinarian for many years, but we have yet to come up with a good recipe. Sometimes we need to "hide" liquid medication in the gravy mixture. Some medications can be compounded with a certain flavor, but some medications cannot. Thank you in advance.

By Sherri from CA

Answers

I am interested too - my 19 1/2 year old cat will only eat the gravy. I just tried a can of cat food, added water and ran it through the blender. She had no interest in it all.

Hello - when my 18 1/2 year old cat went off all solid foods, I began feeding her 'kitten formula' - 2 cups whole milk, 1 egg yolk, 1 tsp. corn syrup (opt), pinch of sea salt. Mix everything well and store in airtight container in the fridge. Take out only what your cat will drink for one meal, warm and serve. I also offered her normal cat kibble (or kitten chow) and fresh water at all times. She did well through the winter and passed peacefully during the next summer.
It is best to make the kitten formula with raw milk (either goat or cow) because it is far easier to digest.

Anonymous

I have to give vitamins & meds to a bunch of feral rescue cats everyday. I make "Special Gravy" and they go bonkers for it. I make it fresh each time and serve warm, but you could store it in the fridge. I put the following in a mayonaise size jar in this order: 1/2 cup kitten chow, L-Lysine powder, pro-biotic, fish oil, 2 scoops of Clear Science Powder Gravy, 1/4 cup milk, 2 cans wet can food and 1/4 hot water....i use one of those hand mixers for making smoothies to blend it into a liquid sludge, then add a cup or two of hot water to thin it out. Let it thicken as it cools. i then add a handful of easy to digest dry cat food for the few that like tidbits in the gravy. it makes about 1.5 quarts. I sneak in the meds for the ones I can't handle and it works everytime. good luck.

My cat has always eaten canned food, but he is not eating now. What can I feed him? He is almost 18 years old.

By Pam R. from Fishers, IN

Answers

I have a 16 yo cat who we have recently had the same problem. I bought him some turkey from the deli section and although I do have to hand feed it to him, he loves it and that is ok with me!

Hello, I would suggest a visit to your Veterinarian for a "Senior" examination. Cats at this age require a different diet. Since cats at this age are not as active, they might require a diet that is lower in calories/protein. To make sure your "Senior" is healthy, please have your Veterinarian do a Senior health panel to make sure there are not any underlying issues that might affect his/her health at this age. Good luck with your fur-baby

Nutritional Consultations
Nature's Farmacy is the best place for nutritional help for cats, dogs and horses!
They also will give you help over the phone or by email.
Monday-Friday (770)893-1974 jeanette AT naturesfarmacy.com
9:00am-5:00pm EST
FAX 24/7 (770)893-1229
Nature's Farmacy, Inc.
166 High Knoll Road
Jasper, GA 30143

How do I make homemade cat food?

By Debbie

Answers

I'm against homemade cat food. It's near impossible to make sure your cat is properly nourished. I started out feeding my cat a homemade raw diet. You have to buy the meat/liver/muscles/fat, buy a scale, buy vitamins, raw meaty bones. I mean, the list is endless.

Now, after you've purchased your meat, intestines, bones, muscles, liver, and on and on and on, you have to make sure your cat eats it all. If it doesn't, it'll be missing the calcium it needs from the bones for example. What it'll do is eat the good parts like the liver and fat and nibble at the rest.

Now, if you passed all that, you have to worry about constipation. Cats are carnivores but they get some fiber. You can buy it some grass or maybe add pumpkin to the food. It's so much work and your cat will have to slowly adjust to the diet.

What I found to be the easiest thing for you to do is to go out and buy some grade A dry food. Not Purina or Whiskas. This one decision will make a difference of years in your cats life. No kidding. Buy something like Ajisen, Go, Dick Van Patten's or something of that nature. It'll be about 20 bucks for a bag. My cat goes through that in about 2 months. That's going to be 120-150 bucks a year on good food that will extend your cats life by years compared to whiskas and that other garbage.

Seriously, if you don't believe me, go ask a vet. Your cat will love the food, be SUPER healthy, have a beautiful coat and you'll be happier knowing that you don't have to worry about your cat's diet.

One last thing, cats like to eat many meals a day. Not one or two big ones. Even if you're a stay at home mom, you don't have the time to feed it 8 times a day throughout a 24 hour period. I free feed my cat and she doesn't gorge but if your cat does, just measure out a day's serving once a day. If you do it in the morning, it'll wake you up at the same time each day. It might pig out the first day or two but it'll quickly see that it has to conserve.

Good luck!

Animalmcburger is right. I am a raw feeder because one of my cats is epileptic and the raw food keeps the seizures under control. But it is a lot of work. I needed to buy a meat grinder ($200) and then find a consistent source of raw chicken hearts. Just keeping fresh food on hand is a weekly chore. I set aside a half day a week to take care of business.

Cat food has improved a lot in the last few years. My other cat loves Costco dry maintenance formula. It costs only $18 for a 20 lb bag. It is the best quality. I do share chicken and turkey and salmon on a regular basis with my guys. Remember cats are obligate carnivores.

Grains and veggies don't do them much good because they have a short digestive tract and cant digest them well. Some cats can't digest them at all and have real problems with diarrhea. If you do cook for your cats find a good supplement. I like the feline vitamins from Only Natural Pets.

I am looking for simple recipes for cat food and cat treats. Kitty is a new mummy at 8 months old with 4 kittens still nursing.

By Seamus from San Antonio, TX

Answers

http://www.hodgsonmill.com/home/

Click on "Our Recipe Collection", then click on "Animal Treats".

Ther are some great raw food recipes if you are interested. It is a bit more work, but the cats thrive on it. If you want my recipe just let me know. There are several available on the web also. I have been feeding that way for 5 years now.

I am looking for recipes that my elderly and dog can both eat. I need to feed them the same diet.

By Rita C

With the recent pet feed recall, a lot of pet owners are nervous about giving store bought food to their cats. Some readers have expressed an interest in recipes for making their own pet food. Do you have any homemade cat food recipes to share? Feel free to post them below.

Answers:

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

• 2 cups rice
  • 1 can mackerel or tuna
  • 2 or 3 chicken livers
  • As available: add 1/2 cup of beans/peas/corn

Mix or blend in food processor. No preservatives or artificial anything! (03/27/2007)

By Anita B

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

Hello..I am wondering how long the homemade recipe is good for if stored in the fridge..thanks a bunch I am going to give this a shot...big smiles

Editor's Note: Depending on how cold your refrigerator is and what you are using to store the food, it will last 3-5 days. If you need to keep it for longer than that, divide it into smaller packages and put it in your freezer. (04/01/2007)

ADULT CAT FOOD

ADULT CAT FOOD (FOR 10-POUND CAT)

Adapted from "Small Animal Clinical Nutrition" by Drs. Diane Wilkie, Danielle Rosser and Bonnie Beaver.

• 2 ounces ground beef (80 percent lean)
    • 1/3 cup instant rice, cooked
    • 2 teaspoons fat (chicken or beef fat or vegetable or fish oil)
    • 1/4 teaspoon bone meal, ground
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • Pinch taurine
    • 1/2 of a (9-gram) human adult vitamin-mineral tablet (see note)
    Bake, fry or microwave the beef and fat (do not drain). Combine beef with remaining ingredients except for the tablet. Mix well. Serve with the tablet (either in pill form or pulverized and thoroughly mixed with the food).

Note: Feed your cat half the tablet each day.

-- Houston Chronicle

Editor's Note: Be sure to consult your vet about any pet food recipes you plan to use on a long term basis. (04/01/2007)

By lewis_admin

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

How to feed your cats by: Mr. Old and Lazy!

• 1. Open can of Sardines.
    • 2. Feed Cats.
    • 3. Throw Cats out the door.
    • 4. Keep throwing Cats out the door.
    • 5. Throw out sneaky visiting Boyfriend Cats out the door.
    • 6. The exercise will stop you from being Lazy but sorry, there is no cure for being Old. (04/02/2007)

By human4us

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

I'm always surprised when I see cat food recipes with tuna in them because one site says to avoid it because of the mercury levels.

Any idea what constitutes too much tuna for adult cats?

(04/07/2007)

By johnnycat

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

I have a recipe that the cats loved. I used a two cans of tuna, about a half cup of rice cooked, a tblspoon of spinach, about a fourth cup of milk, plus a dash of garlic. I cooked that all together and simmered it for about 10 minutes then mashed it really fine. I keep it in the refridgerator for a few days until they finish it. I have two cats so this feeds the two of them for a few days. They also eat the EVO by innova dry food during the day but this is their 'hot' meal ;) (04/08/2007)

By lynnzy

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

My 14 yr. old cat loves Brewer's Yeast added to tuna. Also, put a capsule of Fish Oil over the top of cat food, they love it. Liquid Geritol is also very good for older pets to get their vitamins. I've also
    used crushed vitamin c tablets when our cats are fighting infections from cat fights, it works great. Feed and Grain stores carry bottles of antibiotics
    called Fish Food, its pure, and it works great for pets and saves lots of $ on vet bills! (04/10/2007)

By Diana H

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

What is taurine, how is it put into the food and how much do you use?

Editor's Note: Taurine is an amino acid (a protein). You could look at a health food store or anyplace they sell vitamins. The capsules will be in a human dosage. You will want to do a search on how much taurine is recommended for cats per day and add accordingly. (04/11/2007)

By A ALEX nter your name.

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

Taurine naturally occurs in meat, so unless you are trying veggi kitties the taurine isnt something you need to worry about adding. liver is an excellent source of the vitamins and minerals that they need. (04/12/2007)

By joanna

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

A good list of toxins of cats is on the Cat Fanciers Society web site at: http://www.cfa.org/articles/plants.html

Be very careful about the oils you use, vegetable oil is not digestible by cats. There should be no corn, wheat, or anything with the word 'gluten' in the diet. Cats can't digest it.

Liver should not be given on a daily basis, only twice a week of so. If you animal likes beef - fine. I've roasted a chicken and given the white meat to the cats (_I_ eat the dark meat) (-: Ground turkey is inexpensive and can be cooked for the cats. Salmon is also good for cats, especially if they need to gain weight. Be careful about the tuna and what it is packed in - no oil; water only and make sure the 'vegetable' broth that some use to add to tuna is ONION free. Onion is HIGHLY toxic to cats. I found out the hard way. My kitty is now recovering, but still has a ways to go.

Taurine is an amino acid found only in animal protein, that is a necessary addition to a cats diet as they can not synthesize it on their own. Deficiencies include kidney failure, blindness, cardiac issues, and death. (04/16/2007)

By Jill

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

I have been making a chicken stew recipe for our cats. It took a few weeks, but now they love it! Am seeing the vet with one of them tomorrow to ask about the recipe and if it has everything the cats need. Will let you know. (04/25/2007)

By Guest (Mary)

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

I highly recommend this book if you want to prepare your pets food. It was recommended by my holistic vet. "Dog and Cat diets" by Donald R, Strombeck, DVM, PhD. I feed my 1 dog and 5 cats from this book. Keep in mind. Cats do not need any grains. And Dogs need just a little. GOOD LUCK to all. (04/28/2007)

By Linda J

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

I've been researching for homemade cat food recipes for some time now and am more confused than ever. I tried to discuss this option with my vet, in which he promptly disagreed and suggested Iam's cat food. Though this has not put me off the quest for finding the perfect cat food (and the perfect vet). Also, I refuse to feed my cats food which is created solely for profit rather than for good health, which most of these large commercial pet foods companies do (and lets not even get into the animal testing, the cruel versions that is).

Anyway, I am a little concerned with the addition of rice and other carbs in the recipes mentioned above since I have read a lot about cats not needing carbs in their diet. I was wondering if anyone knew of any diets recommended by vets or pet nutritionist specialists. I have found this link, which I think is pretty good if you are not uncomfortable with feeding your pet raw meat. http://www.catinfo.org/

Though, I am a little queasy with this prospect, then again this is what cat's are meant to eat, rather than the vegetable based dry foods. (05/05/2007)

By Shelly

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

Please do not include garlic in any homemade cat food recipe. I asked my vet what it does to cats. He told me it suppresses red blood cell production and will make the cat anemic, and can also completely shut down red cell production in the cat's bone marrow. In addition, it can make the cat hemorrage internally. Do NOT put garlic in the cat food you make.

He also told me to include a small amount of fish oil, such as cod liver oil, about one-half capsule that you can get at a health food store, and suggested sardines in oil.

I have five cats, healthy so far, thank goodness, but I am becoming more and more concerned about what goes into their food, so it's no trouble to buy a whole chicken, boil it, puree it in a food processor, and make up a batch of cat food that I hope they'll like.

If I still had a dog, I'd be doing the same thing. it's just getting to be too scary. If toxic chemicals are being added to imported food ingredients, how much of it is going into the human food chain? And what will the consequences be when it's consumed by children? (05/09/2007)

By Smokeysmom

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

There is a great book out there called _The New Natural Cat_ by Anitra Frazier. In it, she has remedies for all kinds of kitty ailments and a great chapter on diet. If you google her name, there are sites with her recipes.

For healthy cats, she recommends a ratio of 60% protein, 20% grain, 20% vegetable. She supplements with a mineral mix she calls Vita-Mineral Mix (yeast powder, lecithin granules, bone meal powder, kelp powder, and wheat bran) that you can make yourself or purchase from a company called Halo. She also recommends once-weekly supplements of Vitamin A+D and Vitamin E.

There are variations for cats with kidney problems (lower protein), cats with weight issues (more bulk like wheat bran and water-filled veggies), etc.

I put my cats on this diet several years ago and it did amazing things. I got lazy and took them off. Now, my 11 year old has some kidney issues and this whole recall business had me scared so last weekend, I cooked up a batch. Usually, it takes a week or so to get my cats to adjust, but this time, the piggos scarfed it right down!

I used chicken leg quarters, sweet potatoes, quinoa, and corn. 1 10 pound bag of chicken, 3 sweet potatoes, a cup of dry quinoa, and 1 bag of steamfresh corn will feed my two cats for 6 weeks. Each cat gets 1/4 cup serving twice daily. I package 1/2 cup servings into ziploc snack bags and freeze. You just thaw the bag (microwave 30 seconds or put in bowl of hot water for a minute or so), add 1 tbsp. of the mineral mix for each cat, add a water to get a good consistency, and its ready to go.

After a week, there is already a noticeable difference in their coats and temperment. Plus, their waste output decreases dramatically because they are getting much more nutrition from much less quantity of food, so you see savings on cat litter too.

The diet is great, but the book is also a great tool to have... she does an excellent analysis of how this diet meets your cats needs, which really put my mind at ease. Also is good for dealing with all kinds of other kitty issues. (05/13/2007)

By Thriftycj

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

I know a lot of us are concerned about what we are feeding our cats due to recent commercial food nightmares.

Here is a vet that focusses on diet and cats and has a wonderful website including recipe.

I have been feeding my cats this recipe for over a year, they are leaner, goofier, shinier than ever before!

http://www.catinfo.org/ (05/16/2007)

By Sweetgrass

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

Cats don't naturally eat organ meat. Living in the country we were always overrun by mice, and our cats ate them daily--all but the head, organs, feet and tail, which they left on the floor in the precise order in which they had existed in the rodent. Giving cats liver is like giving them all the poison eaten by the creature who once owned the liver. Don't feed your cats liver. (05/20/2007)

By Guest

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

LOts of stuff for kitty, including a balanced diet that I have been feeding to my 21 rescue cats since the recall, I am finding they shed less, throw up less and the litter boxes sure smell sweeter.
    I have also added some new recipes for dog treats and cakes to the blog.
    If your looking to make home made meals for your pets there is lots of other info there.
    http://flip195.wordpress.com (06/07/2007)

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

Just for your information.
    Fish is NOT a natural part of a cats diet, and therefore it should only form a small part of your meal menu when you are making your animals food.
    To the person who metioned organ meats.
    Had you examined what was left of the mice you would actually found, or at least should have found, intestines, feet and tails, cats do sometimes eat the heads but not always, they do eat livers because that is where the most protien is stored, and they eat the heart because that is where they get a natural source of Taurine, which is a required part of their diet.
    Visit http://flip195.wordpress.com/ for more information.
    Also if you would like to help animals in distress visit www.aarrff.org and see how you can help. (06/26/2007)

By flip195

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

http://www.petfoodcookbook.com/ (06/06/2008)

By melody_yesterday

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

Use this website to get food. plz tell me how it goes and i hope i can help. it has cat and dog, food, treats and other. go to (http://www.healthyrecipesforpets.com/cat_food_recipes.html) good luck! (b)(/b) (07/30/2008)

By U-U

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

thank you Anita Bone
    i'm gona try the~~

• 2 cups rice
  • 1 can mackerel or tuna
  • 2 or 3 chicken livers

Recipe and see if my kittyz like it =)

(09/23/2008)

By dorkinstine

Homemade Cat Food Recipes

YOUR KITTY'S KIBBLES

• 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 cups soy flour
  • 1 cup wheat germ
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup nonfat dry milk
  • 1/2 cup brewer's yeast
  • 1 (15 ounce) can mackerel
  • 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon cod liver oil
  • 2 cups of water or as needed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Preparation & Cooking

Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In another bowl, mash the mackerel into small pieces. Mix in the oil and water. Add the mackerel mixture to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. The dough is tough, so use your hands.

Roll dough out to about 1/4" thickness and cut into 1/4" bits, using a knife or pizza cutter. Mound the bits onto greased cookie sheets and bake for 25 minutes.
    During baking, occasionally toss the bits with two wooden spoons, so they brown evenly. Turn the heat off and allow the treats to cool thoroughly before removing and storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
    This recipe freezes very well for longer storage.

SARDINE SOUP (for Cats)

• 2 cans of sardines
  • pat of butter
  • 1 cup water
  • few stalks of watercress
  • fish sauce (optional)

Preparation & Cooking
    Put the sardines and the pat of butter into a heavy-based frying-pan and cook on a medium heat. As the pan warms and the butter melts, mash the sardines into it. When the butter has completely melted, pour in the water and stir as it comes to a boil. Thoroughly shred the watercress and toss into the pan. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool. Puree, and add a dash of fish sauce.

MEOWSLI
  • 1 tablespoon oats
  • 1/2 banana, mashed
  • 2 tablespoon plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 apple, chopped
  • 2 ounces berries in season
  • 10,000 i.u of Vitamin A from for example cod liver oil
  • 150 i.u of Vitamin E
  • 1 teaspoon of fresh raw vegetables e.g. carrot, spinach, herbs etc.

Preparation & Cooking

MEATY OATS (for Cats)

• 4 cups of rolled oats
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 pounds of minced lean beef, or other meats e.g. chicken, turkey, heart, rabbit or lamb
  • 1 tablespoon of Supplement powder (see below)
  • 2 tablespoons of bone meal or 4,000 mg Calcium or 2 teaspoons of eggshell powder
  • 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
  • 150 i.u of Vitamin E

Preparation & Cooking

Cook rolled oats until soft, then add to the rest of the ingredients, which are fed raw/uncooked.
    This will make about 12 cups. Feed your cat 1 to 2 cups a day depending on how large and active your cat is. Some liver can be added to the recipe but do not use just liver as the only meat.

SUPPLEMENT POWDER:

• 2 cups of nutritional yeast or brewers yeast
  • 1/4 cup of Kelp powder
  • 1 cup of Lecithin powder
  • 1000 mg of Vitamin C (or 1/4 teaspoon of Sodium acerbate)
    Mix together and refrigerate and use in the above recipe.

Mom's Homemade Meal (for Cats)

• 1/4 pound liver (beef, chicken or pork only)
  • 2 large hard-cooked eggs
  • 2 cups cooked white rice without salt
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon (5 grams) calcium carbonate
  • 1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute)

Preparation & Cooking
    Also add a balanced supplement which fulfills the feline MDR for all vitamins and trace minerals and 250mg tureen/day.

Dice and braise the meat, retaining fat.
    Combine all ingredients and mix well. This mixture is somewhat dry and the palatability may be improved by adding some water.

Meat Majesty (for Cats)
  • 1/4 can whitefish + tuna dinner wet cat food
  • 1/4 can beef wet cat food
  • /4 can chicken in gravy wet cat food
  • 1/4 can salmon wet cat food
  • A bit dry cat food

Preparation & Cooking
    Mix together and feed. Put the rest in the fridge to keep fresh

MEATY OATS (for Cats)
  • 4 cups of rolled oats
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
  • 150 i.u of Vitamin E

Preparation & Cooking

SUPPLEMENT POWDER:
  • 1/4 cup of Kelp powder
  • 1 cup of Lecithin powder
  • 1000 mg of Vitamin C (or 1/4 teaspoon of Sodium acerbates)

POTATOES AU FELINE
  • 3 cups boiled sliced potatoes
  • 2 T grated vegetables
  • 1/2 cup creamed cottage cheese 1 T Nutritional yeast
  • 2 T grated carrots
  • 1/4 cup whole milk
  • 1/4 cup grated cheese

Preparation & Cooking
    Layer the first 5 ingredients into a casserole dish. Then pour the milk on top of all; sprinkle with cheese. Bake about 15 minutes at 350F until cheese melts and slightly browns. Serve cool.
    As a potato substitute, you can use 3 cups of cooked oatmeal or 3 cups cooked brown rice.

CHICKEN CRUNCHIES (for Cats)

• 1-1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
  • 1-1/2 cups rye flour
  • 1-1/2 cups brown rice flour
  • 1 cup wheat germ
  • 1 teaspoon dried kelp or alfalfa
  • 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or beef broth
  • 1 pound ground chicken
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons brewer's yeast
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F

Preparation & Cooking
    In a large bowl, combine the first six dry ingredients.
    Slowly add oil, broth and chicken, and mix well.
    On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch then place it on a greased cookie sheet. Bake until golden brown.

Cool then break into bite-size pieces. Place pieces in a bag with the brewer's yeast and shake to coat them. Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
    Makes 2 to 3 dozen pieces. (10/17/2008)

By Autumn.

• Comment Was this helpful? 1

How do I make cat food?

Anyone have any recipes for homemade cat food that is cheaper than manufactured? I have several cats and spend about $100 a month feeding them and that is store brand!