Making a Fish Flavored Broth for Cats

My fussy cat has taken to liking the new broths available for cats, but they are expensive for very little and packaged badly so that I always spill a bit getting it out of the vacuum pack. She loves texture and liquid as she tends to lick her food rather than taking bites.

If anyone has a good broth recipe suitable for cats I'd love to see it, please.

By Pauline D

Best Answer

I got tired of paying for broth awhile back and started making my own. I save all chicken or turkey parts in the freezer. I usually have a lot of backs(back bones hide a number of small glands - adrenal, kidneys et. I pop them out as they have an off flavor), wings and leg bones etc. When the freezer gets crowded I take them all out put them in a pot and fill the pot with water. Simmer for 1 to 4 hours, let cool and strain thru a seive or cheesecloth to remove any small bones. if boiled for 4 hours you will have extracted the mineral content of the bones (calcium, magnesium, phosphorus) Now you can reduce the stock until it is the way you like it.

I pour my stock into 8 oz plastic cups and freeze it. I use it to make soup, rice or whatever needs a flavor boost. One difference you will notice with the store bought stock is that yours will gel when it is cold. I am not sure how manufacturers keep the store bought stuff from gelling. It liquifies quickly when brought to room temp or a little more. You can add anything you like to broth while it is cooking. Onions, celery etc can vary the flavor and nutrition. My cats love it and I use it by the ton. A container of broth is approaching $3 at the store.

Anonymous

Never should put onions in cat food

Anonymous

onions are toxic to cats. I don't know about celery... but I'd definitely look up everything you are putting into your pets and their food.

Anonymous

Onions are deadly to cats

Anonymous

I was told onion is bad for cats

I do this all the time at home. the reason the store bought stuff doesn't gell is because it is very diluted. that's why it has very little flavor and isn't worth buying.

I hate to think of the amount of people who waste bones when the great flavor and minerals add so much to your meals and is all basically free.

You should not be putting onions in your cats broth. Onions are toxic to cats, you could cause their red blood cells to burst.

Onions can kill a cat or dog. You should not be using onions at all whether in a broth, dehydrated or fresh. It breaks down their red blood cells and can kill them by bleeding to death.

Onions are poisonous to cats.

Please don't add onions to your cat's food.
It could kill them. www.petpoisonhelpline.com/.../

You have to be very careful because tuna in water is a treat I gave to my cat thinking it's water with fish flavor. But it is more harmful then good. It causes crystals in urinary tract and can cause extreme pain to them and or having surgery. People food is not good for any pet, any bones given to dogs whether they are cooked or raw.

The cooked ones can cause serious damage to stomachs and intestines and other problems. If you want to give your pet scraps from people foods call vet first. Best food for your loving pets is food made for them only! If they can't eat dry food, try mixing some with wet food.

While this sounds a good idea for a broth for cats, I would really Refrain from putting onion anywhere near it, onion is toxic to cats and dogs. Research the type of veg possibly suitable if you want to do this, although cats don't need veg in their diet at all.

We have a fussy Maine Coon and she loves anything with gravy. I looked at the ingredients of the store bought brands and was put off by the by-products that go into them, think about it, why would a pet food company put good human food in a can when they can use the cheaper stuff. I found a wonderful book "The Whole Pet Food Diet" by Andi Brown and it has a great approach to feeding your furry friends good healthy food without the risk of giving them something that is toxic.

Our kitty now has a shiny coat, is more active and alert and no more dandruff, now that says a lot. The book from Amazon is well worth it.

I have the extract same issues you have. I'm looking to make my own when I find a recipe