Cooked Chicken Instead Of Wet Cat Food

Pet food in my area has gone up and the sales are not as good, if at all. The other day, the Kroger I was in had whole chickens on clearance, for 59 cents a pound. I will cook one, discard the bones and skin, dice it up and feed it to my cats, twice a day, instead of their can food. It's cheaper, and it's good for them. No fillers. I will store it in the fridge.

If you do not have multiple cats, as I do, simply put the diced chicken, in a big plastic, Ziploc bag, and get a handful out and zap it on defrost, each day.

By julrobs from North Augusta, SC Editor's Note: Be sure to feed your pets a balanced diet to ensure they are getting the proper nutrition. Chicken can supplement their normal diet but should not be the only source.

Please google and go to Dr. Lisa Peirson's page for a balanced homemade diet for kitties :)

I'm not sure, but I think that feeding your kitty nothing but chicken could be asking for trouble. I think that so much pure protein could be very hard on the kidneys. I know when they are old & prone to kidney disease, you have to be careful about giving them too much protein. Not only that, but a meat only diet won't have the vitamins & nutrients your cat needs.

Please check with your vet to be safe.

Good for you! I keep telling people about the poor quality of commercial pet food. The bags scream how great the food is when the animal would get more benefit from eating the paper bag and throwing out the "food" inside it. Keep it up & find out what else you can add to the food for a balanced diet. Your cat will live much longer.

Do log onto Dr. Lisa Piersons website at www.catinfo.org. It is important to know what needs to be in your recipe if you are not feeding commercial catfood. Just feeding chicken is not adequate. For one thing, leave the skin on. Cats have a high need for fat in their diets, unlike humans.

They also need calcium/phosphorus and B vitamins that are not supplied with the meat. There are many other things to consider, and Dr. Lisa lays them out carefully. I have been a raw feeder for many years. If done right it is cheaper and much better for your cat.

Raw chicken is a good treat for a cat; but, there are long term problems with what you are doing.

Cooking does remove some of the nutrients in the meat, many amino acids are destroyed in the cooking process.

Discarding the bones means that they are not getting any calcium or other minerals needed to keep their bones strong. Cooked bones are dangerous for cats; but, ground up raw bones are safe and necessary.

They need some fat so keep some (not all) of the skin.

Even if you are keeping the chicken heart for the cat; it does not have enough taurine to protect their eyesight. Cats require more taurine in their diet than dogs or other animals. So, add some extra heart (chicken, turkey or beef).

The same is true of the liver. Add a little extra.

Add a couple of raw eggs and if your cat is not allowed out - add some greens (grass, parley, or celery).

The reason some older cats have issues with protein is that their kidneys have been damaged over the years by trying to process grains - corn, rice, millet, etc. If they have not been fed these foods, they will be fine.

I fed my cats a raw food diet for many years and they stayed healthy. The only reason I had to go back to commercial food was that it was becoming difficult to locate heart to add to the meat in my area.

Cats need the bones & skin in their food. It is part of a balanced diet. Chickens need to be ground bone in. It is just like if they were in the wild they would eat a whole animal carcass like a mouse.

I have a butcher grind 2 chickens bone in. Then I add the vitamins & other components that are both beneficial & necessary for their diet.

cats need calcium in their food to support their structure. Just giving a cat meat is a bad idea. You need to find a supplement for its' bones as well.

Please be sure your kitty is getting all the nutrients he/she needs that their bodies can't produce such as Taurine. Please research and/or ask your vet what they need in addition to the chicken. Life Extension Cat Mix 100 Grams Powder is a supplement that provides the things your cat needs and can be found on Amazon for just around $10. i highly recommend you give it a look. Blessings!

Anonymous

How are your cats getting their needed vitamins and minerals? Also zapping in the microwave kills all nutrients

Your comment about microwaves is inaccurate. There is no scientific proof that foods cooked in a microwave are less nutritious than foods cooked on a stove or in an oven. In fact, steamed vegetables in the microwave appear to be more nutritious than boiled or fried veggies, according to this article.

https://www.hea  ng-and-nutrition

I need help plz. Cat "Benji" lost 5#s over last 9 mnths [was15#s]. Lab work done - vet said it was ok. She said he has muscle loss, maybe parasites, then did nothing. I said I thought maybe tape worms? She gave me worming tablet. She did not tell me what else to do. I did take in a stool sample today to see if he has parasites after worming Any thoughts as to how to get him back to health? I totally love him!! He is about 4 1/2. He is a service cat. He wakes me when my blood sugar is low..he wakes me when I stop breathing due to sleep apnea. Thnx. [last visit to that vet]