Training Outside Cats to Be Indoor Cats

Category Cats
Rescued, and some adopted kitties, have often been living outdoors and will need some love and attention to make them inside cats. This is a guide about training outside cats to be indoor cats.

I have two rescue cats and am trying to make them indoor cats. How long will it take? I added two more rescues to my pet family six weeks ago. They must have been out a lot because they keep trying to get out. We decided to make these indoor cats because we lost two to the outdoors in the past year.

One problem is the older residents who are in/out cats. The newer ones see them go out and try to go too. I have to literally sneak out of my own home. Sometimes I go out the back door and come in the front just to avoid the ambush. The new cats are 7 mo. and 1 year. The older cats are 5 and 15. The 15 yr old stays close to the house, so not a problem when out.

Answers

It is possible to train your rescue cats to be indoor cats. This might take a bit of time and effort on your part. Here are a few ways to help your cat live indoors.

Step 1
Give the cat plenty of toys to play with. A cat has a basic instinct for hunting. You don't need to spend a fortune on cat toys. Be creative and give them a ball of aluminum foil or even a paper bag to play with. A tennis ball is great to roll around the floor and have the cat chase this.

Step 2
Your cat will need a kitty tree or a jungle gym to play on. Cats like to be high up so they can observe the world below.

Step 3
Make sure your cat has a sunny window they can look out of. They like the warmth of the sun and need a place to bask in the sun.

Step 4
Get a small box and grow cat grass in your home. The cats will love this and they can chew on it. You can buy this at pet stores.

Step 5
When the cat is new to your home, you will need to have plenty of play time with the cat. Give your cat a lot of attention. This will help them adjust to being in your home.