My Dog is Constipated

My West Highland terrier has constipation problems? Does anyone have any advice?

By Anna from Dublin

Answers:

My Dog is Constipated

Try giving him those treats that look like smoked sausage in a stick form. There should be a lot of them around at this time of the year. Also, take him on a long walk, that usually loosens things up right quick. Especially in combination. (12/11/2009)

By rydynhood

My Dog is Constipated

A vet told me once to feed a constipated dog canned pumpkin. Just make sure it is 100% pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling. (12/11/2009)

By slr5113

My Dog is Constipated

I don't have a dog, but my cat has that problem. We feed her a vet recommended high fiber diet and once a day I mix a vet prescribed liquid into her food. It is not expensive and works very well. I personally believe pet problems should be solved by vets rather than well meant advice. While we play around with this remedy and that remedy, the pet is suffering. (12/11/2009)

By Lilac

My Dog is Constipated

My first concern would be why is he constipated. If there is any possibility that he may have swallowed something that has become lodged in his intestines I would get him in to the vet as soon as possible. They can x-ray to be sure it isn't a foreign body.

You really can't think in terms of people when it comes to dogs. You may be able to live with constipation for a few days where for your dog that could be fatal. Why take the risk? (12/12/2009)

By Knoodles

My Dog is Constipated

I also use pumpkin. Just start with a tablespoon. It can give them the runs, so easy does it. (12/12/2009)

By chrissym15

My Dog is Constipated

I use mineral oil. My doggies love the taste and it is natural. Just give 1/2 teaspoon to begin. (12/12/2009)

By pmm64015

My Dog is Constipated

We had a lab that had this problem and the vet said to give wet food. So I just wet down the dry for about half an hour before feeding. Also you can put the fiber powder in the food and put stool softeners in the food. All of this was advised by our vet. We had to do this for the last 6 years of his life. (12/13/2009)

By Maggiemae1456

My Dog is Constipated
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
A happy dog standing up.
Training a Dog to Stop Mounting (Humping) People
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
🎉
🎄