Mystery Stain on Carpet

The carpet in the doorway to my daughter's room has a big black stain on it. I don't know what it is or where it came from. Does anyone have any ideas to remove this? We rent and our landlord put in the carpet just before we moved in a year ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
jmz2005 from IL

Mystery Stain on Carpet

Try "Spot Shot". It comes in a blue can with a bright orange top. I haven't found a spot yet that it won't remove. (02/16/2006)

By Jean

Mystery Stain on Carpet

When I moved in with my boyfriend, there were several mystery spots on the carpet. I mixed in a bottle peroxide, rubbing alcohol, and water. I don't remember the exact quantities. What wasn't removed with that, I later went over with a 1:3 mix of vinegar to water. I love using baking soda, vinegar, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, water, and dish soap for everything. (BTW Liquid Oxi-Clean is peroxide with additives.) (03/21/2006)

By Treece

Mystery Stain on Carpet

More than likely the stain is nothing more than soap residues which have created a "sticky situation" that is attracting dirt. You can easily test for this by simply applying warm water on the spot and agitating it with your fingers or a tooth brush (be sure not to over scrub the spot or the fibers will become "fuzzy"). If soap suds are produced then you will know that the mystery stain is just sticky soap residues which can be rinsed out using warm water. You will likely have to perform multiple rinses of the carpet to get all of the soap out. You can use a small portable "wet-dry" type of vacuum cleaner to extract the soap and water out. The water will not harm the carpet. But be sure to extract as much water as possible to leave the carpet dry and prevent mildew from forming.

If the water does not remove the mystery spot then it may be an oil-based stain. If this is the case you will need to use a solvent type of cleaner to remove the stain. These types of solvents are often referred to a POG (Paint, Oil, Grease).

Good luck.

Chris Howell
Maryland, USA (07/25/2007)

By Colorful Carpets

Mystery Stain on Carpet
shoe polish
Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet
Coffee Stain on Carpet
Removing a Coffee Stain from Carpet
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
Halloween Murder Mystery Party
Hosting a Halloween Murder Mystery Party