Hosting a Halloween Murder Mystery Party

Category Party Themes
Murder mystery games can be tailored for almost any type of party or event. This is a guide about hosting a Halloween murder mystery party.

I'm having a murder mystery party on Halloween. It's about these immortals (most are royal) going to their annual costume ball. I'm using my whole downstairs for the party.

I'm planning on making the living room the room with music and dancing, drinks in the kitchen, snacks/refreshments in the dining room, and the crime scene in the computer room. The foyer will just be the entrance like it is on a normal day.

I want to decorate it like a ballroom, but it's for immortals on Halloween so I want it to be elegant and mysterious with some Halloween flair to it. I was going to light a bunch of candles for soft light to try to create that effect, though I'm also thinking about doing Christmas lights. Which would be better?

I'm also going to divide up the room with streamers (some orange and black, some purple and silver) in order to allow people to have private conversations/commit murder in the game, etc. Otherwise I'm completely stuck. Any ideas?

By Ashley from Apex, NC

Answers

I don't know what age your guests will be, but if there's going to be alcohol I'd go with Christmas lights. Even if there's no alcohol, a sleeve that catches fire or a candle that's knocked over is just too scary to contemplate.

You could get the Halloween colored lights, or just go with plain white, which I think is elegant. You could put a string of lights in a bowl for a spectacular effect too. Have a great time. Wish I was invited.

Wow, sounds like the event of the season! I wish I were there! I have no ideas for you, just wanted to say bravo!

I agree to go with electric lights. You don't even want to think about a fire. Ask around to see if you can borrow the candles that are battery operated.

You go girl! This sounds like it's going to be an awesome Halloween Party! Wish I were there! I agree with the "use lights" suggestion.

Candles, although very nice and authentic, can be very dangerous. Use those new LED look-alike candles being sold everywhere. Almost like the real thing, but safer. Good luck, be safe and have fun!