Throwing a Luau Party

Category Party Themes
When you can't make it to the islands, a fun event can have a Hawaiian theme. This guide is about throwing a luau party.

My name is Gabby and I am having a Hawaiian luau party for me and 13 of my friends. This is a boy girl party and most of us are 13 or 14. I pretty much have everything under control like decorations and some foods but what I need help on is what games to play. I don't want them to be too cheeesy but fun. i also need ideas for hawaiian or hawaiian related movies because my dad is renting a projector and we are watching a movie on the side of my house. If you have any ideas for movies or fun games please tell me. Thanks a bunch, gabby<3

Answers

Just play truth or dare, one thing will lead to another and it may turn out to be an awesome party.

Limbo seems like it would be appropriate

I did a Luau for my daughter's birthday and we did Coconut bowling. Use plastic bowling pins or empty 2 liters and take turns bowling them over with coconuts. you might want to have several coconuts because the boys will try to break them. Another suggestion might be to drain the milk from them first. Beach ball volleyball is another goodie.

We had a Luau for my teen son's 18th birthday.

I took a white poster board and painted a brown Tiki god mask, to play something like "pin the tail on the donkey." We had noses to pin, however. (see pic 1769)

The most awesome game, however, was tacky tourist. It was a relay race with 2 teams. There were identical items that I picked up at a second hand store: camera, straw hat, loud tourist shirt, sun visor, sunglasses, swimming flippers and a grass skirt. The guests raced to dress in the gear, run to a point, then return to undress from gear. (see pic 1778) The family is still talking about that racing game. My photos are here: http://pg.photo … om/ph/hall.kelly@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/121b&.src=ph&.tok=phrgPTDB7A0I1kvG

For the movie...anyone remember "Gidget Goes Hawaiian"?

what about a hula hoop contest!

I need games!

well i am having a luau for my 13 bday in october and i dont know what the weather will be like but i am already looking for ideas and stuff. at target i found like plastic pineapple bowling set and i am getting alot of things from oriental trading company. i am having 11 friends over because everything comes in a dozen. i need more game ideas to do in the morning because i am having a sleepover. and i need a movie i was thinking like a hawian movie but what is there?so what outdoor things could i do??? i live in the country tooo so i was thinking of a scavender hunt with luau things but i need more ideas please!

This is my 13th birthday and I want to have a luau, my budget is low, and I don't have many ideas. My party is next weekend. I would really appreciate it if ya'll could help me!

Nina from Georgia

Answers

Some of these tips might be helpful...

Dollar Store

I would visit your local dollar store and look for cheap decorations and games. Sometimes you can find some funky stuff for cheaper than you can find it at a party supply store.

Fish Party

Games

FISHING RACE - Using standard or construction paper, cut out and color fish shapes; then place a paper clip on the front as the mouth of the fish; take a twig (or small piece of doweling), tie a string and magnet to it (magnets can be bought at an art store for pennies), and you have your "fishing pole". Place them into a large cardboard box, or a box of your choice (for realism, you can decorate the box to look like the sea, with sea animals inside and out).

HOW TO PLAY "FISHING RACE" - There are three different variations to the game. 1) Align two or more players around the "sea". Using the magnet, the player must try to attach the magnet to the fishes mouth (paper clip). The player to "catch" the most "fish" wins. The winner then plays the next player, and so on.... 2) A variation on #1, add a blind fold for older kids for more challenge. 3) Relay version (for large parties and lots of kids) - Players must "catch" the fish and run to the bucket (any container will do - located 20 feet away, of course), then pass it to their teammate who does the same, and so on....

PRIZES - For peace, it is recommended that you use the same prize. 1) for each fish caught, the player wins a gummy fish - this way everyone gets something, but the winner still gets a "little extra" for winning. 2) Take a fish bowl, fill it with pennies, nickels and dimes and quarters (more pennies than nickels, more nickels than dimes, more dimes than quarters, etc.) AND most important - marbles. The winner gets to dip into the money bowl for each fish they caught. There's one catch - with each handful, they must put the marbles back, and the bowl remixed BEFORE they reach in again. This will allow for more turns at the money bowl. 3) Instead of handing out party bags, they can exchange their "fish" for prizes (i.e. - fish-shaped stencils, erasers, candy, etc.).

PIN THE TAIL ON MOBY - This is a variation of the old-time favorite - pin the tail on the donkey. Use your computer to print out a picture of a large fish (use 8.5" x 14", the larger the better - you can even take an 8.5" x 11" printout to Mail Boxes Etc. and have them enlarge it to 11" x 17" or larger for only a couple of bucks). Then make copies of the tail (or trace them onto one sheet to get more out of it), cut them out, color them the same color as the real tail, and voila, you have Pin the tail on Moby..... This can be adapted for most parties and themes and only costs you the paper.

EAT LIKE A FISH RACE - You place 5-10 gummy worms (whatever number) on a plate in front of the kids. The idea of the game is to see how many worms you can Eat Like A Fish in thirty seconds. This means that there are NO HANDS used!

http://www.thri … f000017.tip.html

Beach Themed Wedding Centerpieces
By Rose Smith

Decorate your tables with some fun-loving beach-themed centerpieces. Each centerpiece is easy to put together, so anyone can do them.

http://www.thri … f993736.tip.html

Also see:

Hawaiian Birthday Party
http://www.thri … f334936.tip.html

Thanks to ALL of you who sent the GREAT ideas! I used lots of them and the party was a HUGE success. I hope that I can be of help to others on this list in the very near future.
I appreciate all of you!
@-}--------------
My best!
Donna

You all have such *fantastic ideas! I'm looking for some ideas for a teen outdoor party. I will need these quickly as the party is tomorrow afternoon.

The theme is tropical, (think Luau) and I can't think of any good, inexpensive games or activities etc for older kids. I would appreciate any/all ideas!

Please reply to: jimmyporter1 AT comcast.net Thanks SO much in advance! - Donna

Figure out how to make tissue-paper flowers. (Check the web and the local library. Also, if you know any teachers or scout leaders or the like, ask if they know how.

Then buy lots of tissue paper (try dollar stores, then discount stores before going to craft stores, to save money). Have everyone make enough flowers to string together to make their own flower necklace.

I've noticed with store-bought ones that they string a flower, then a tube, then a flower, then a tube, etc., so that they don't need as many flowers, and it still looks good. For the tubes, buy a box of straws and cut them into 1" or 2" lengths.

Pineapple Princess punch: Mix equal amounts of lemon lime soda (store brand is fine), Hawaiian or red punch, and pineapple juice. Yum! Be sure to offer ice separately so it won't dilute the punch.
Buy almond cookies to serve with it. Or better yet, buy a fresh pineapple and cut it up into tidbits. Put the pieces on toothpicks, then do the same with strawberries. And start planning ahead for next year's party so you can shop all year long!

Thank You All For Your Ideas!!!!!!!!!! I would Appreciate it if I could Recieve a lot more

I am having my daughters 3rd birthday party at home this year and it is going to be done in the hawaiian theme. I am going to buy just a regular awning from a local store and make it into a hut. I will put the long dry grass on top and then decorate around it making it look just like the tiki huts in hawaii.

A cake for a luau party would be cute if it was a three tier cake round or square and a hula girl on top with the bottom layer to have palm trees all around it and the second layer to have like a grass skirt around it and the top layer to have like coconuts or just something like that around it. That way it is not all just one decoration on the cake.

By Jennifer Spoon

Im looking to have my 9 year olds birthday party a hawaiian theme. I cant find any thing about how to make grass skirts? I want them to look good and be somewhat durable. Please help Thanks in advance

does anybody have any ideas for games and movies ??????

I think all of this is a huge help, since we are having a luau party next week- and we're inviting all the famil, which will be huge. We're trying to keeep it up as a tradition. It will be so much fun. A cool game to play for adults and/or teens is get one of those huge, long licorice strings, and each pair with get one end. they eat and, and the first coule to barely touch lips or kiss, wins! This game is not meant for kids though.

I want to throw the best luau party ever! Can you post some tips?

Gwen from Dublin

Answers

have fruit kabobs. Rent a hula video and learn some moves then teach them at your party. play hawaiian music. Light tiki torches if you can these can be found sometimes at doller stores. Give each guest a hawaiian name which you can find online. or translate their name into hawaiian. Mine for instance is gloria which translates into kololia. Give you some other ideas later.

What are some ideas for a luau party for teen boys and girls? I need help.

By sofbtalllover from Dallas, TX

I am planning a party for a two year old. The theme is luau, I need some inexpensive decorating ideas. I also would like ideas of what kind of food to serve and what kind of games to play. I have three small pools, one water sprinkler, and one slip and slide.

By Pam

I am having a luau party for my turning 12 year old daughter. What items should I use for a scavenger hunt? Any games you know that could be fun, but not too cheesy?

By Kenendy from NV

Does anyone know a caterer in the Hagerstown, MD area that is inexpensive. We need someone that can do a pig roast for a luau party?

By LP from Hagerstown, MD

So my sweet sixteen isn't for a few months, but I'm an early planner. The thing is I want to throw it at my place, since it'd be cheaper, but my mom has these pictures of New York as decor hung up. Would it be okay if I left it as it is, or take them down? And also, if you have any cool ideas?

I need ideas for a 4 year old birthday party. It's going to be luau themed and it's going to be outside. How do I implement Dora into this and do you know of cheap sites for decorations? Also, I wanna know how to build a cheap tiki bar. I need good foods for toddlers for this party, too.

By Pam

I would like ideas for coconut decorations for a luau.

By Esta from Stuart, FL

My daughter's 12th birthday is coming up and all she has told me is she wants a Hawaiian luau pool party. What should I do?

By L.K.O.