Luau Party Game Ideas

Category Games
A Hawaiian theme for a party is fun for many occasions. This guide is about luau party game ideas.

I and a friend are hosting a Red Hat August birthday party in a couple of weeks with a luau theme. The food and decorations are no problem, but coming up with fun games that can be done easily by a group of ladies of differing abilities aged low 50s to high 90s is difficult.

I have lots of Hawaiian "trivia" facts and would like to do a Jeopardy or scholar's bowl quiz game, but can't come up with a fair method for play.

I would also like to do something with hula dancing, but many of the ladies would not be up to doing a dance. Any ideas for that?

Thanks for any tips and ideas you can offer.

By Melody B-H from Oak Ridge, TN

Answers

One of the cutest one's I have seen at Tupperware and such parties is this. Have someone who is associated with the host come out with a tray of all things Hawaiian...leis, etc. and have everyone try to memorize the stuff on the tray. Then, when she is gone, tell them they have to describe what she was wearing! It's a hoot.

Another is to see how many words they can get out of "Red Hat Hawaiian Luau Happy Birthday" which can be fun, too. Or just Happy Birthday (persons name). Both games don't require much exertion and keeps the brains thinking.

Get some fake flowers or leis and unstring them, then see how fast people can make them again with needles and thread.
I hope these three have helped. For other ideas, go to http://www.birt … /html/games.html for tons.
PBP

You mentioned that many of the ladies would not be able to do the hula dancing. That's probably true, but many of them would be able to try to do it, and the others would love to see their efforts. I speak from experience on this - everyone enjoys seeing other folks trying something new.

How about toss the coconut into a bucket or pail. Underhand is OK! How about musical chairs instead-to Hawaiian music or island music? That's walking instead of dancing & fun for everyone- unless they are real party-poopers! You could have little or big prizes for the winners. McDonald's gift cards to lip gloss to Barettes- Travel Mug & Dunkin Donuts Card, shower gel & a new comb for men or video of baseballs great moments ,Etc.;Or dinner out gift card & movie tickets, or summer blanket, with sunscreen & beach umbrella, a picnic basket full of plastic plates, cups, forks, knives & spoons & nice napkins & gift card to a deli or grocery store, or tickets to an amusment park or zoo. Whatever you decide - I hope you have fun.

Oh -I just realized - Red Hat is all women. Sorry.

Hello felow Red Hatter.
Some suggestions:
For the hula:If the Red Hatter can't speak with her hips then the use of Hand motions are really important as they are the language of the dance. (I picture some really funny "hand motions) and for those with restricted use of their hands, they could sing revamped lyrics while doing whatever motions they are capable of.

You should have a "bathing suit" contest with different categories. Imagine ones for antique (costume, not Red Hatter), funniest, most daring, most imaginative use of "bling",most "floatable". Whatever strikes your fancy.

The trivia could be so much fun, especially if the answers given are multiple choice with some really funny answers thrown in. A game where each party goer is given a Hawaiian name. These would not really be Hawaiian but woud be made up names that have some sort of funny meaning and of course would have "Hattitude". Name tags with both the Red Hatters name, title and Hawaiian name are listed would be wonderful.

Have fun ladies. It sounds like something that my "Wild Wilton Chicks" Red Hat group would love.
Hugs,
Lady J,
Princess of all that glitters

Thank you for the great suggestions. Everyone was greeted at the door with a silk lei (from Dollar Tree) and a name tag with their name in Hawaiian (found a website that listed the 'translations' that I used.) We ended up doing a type of 'Family Feud' game with the trivia questions. We had 3 tables of 4 women and my daughter was the MC.

It was great fun. The hula got scraped for lack of time. We had a meal of luau pig (pulled pork), slaw, fruit skewers, pineapple tea, fruit punch, coconut cake and/or pineapple upside down cake, tropical sherbet and coconut ice cream.

Before leaving, everyone was asked if they remembered their Hawaiian name - without looking at the name tag they were wearing. Most people remembered others but not their own! We all had a good time and made some good memories. I will keep your suggestions in my 'idea file' since everyone wanted to do a luau again next year.

I like Jen64's idea of the hula hand motions. I think if we gave a prompt and asked everyone what motion they would make for it that we would get some good laughs out of the results.

I'm having my 13th b-day party on Friday and it is a Luau theme. I am having 8-10 of my best friends over from 7-10. The problem is, I have absolutely no idea what games to play. If you have any ideas for me please respond.

Maggie from Macungie, PA

Answers:

Luau Party Game Ideas

You could have a limbo contest. You just need two people to hold the stick and some music, you can download Limbo Rock by Harry Belafonte. (04/24/2007)

By sashough

Luau Party Game Ideas

A hula hoop contest. Use music, like musical chairs. Stop when someone first drops their hoop, and they are out. Continue until only one remains. (04/24/2007)

By the Oracle

Luau Party Game Ideas

Spud knocker:

Put a potato in one side of pantyhose and tie the other side around your waist. Using "only" your hip motion, try to knock a potato that is on the floor across a finish line, too funny to watch. You can use lemons, apples, or anything round that will roll. (04/24/2007)

By Cindy

Hawaiian Luau for indoors a game!

And, here is another Hawaiian party idea:

Hawaiian Musical Chairs Game: Place beach towels in various places throughout the room. Play Hawaiian music while the players move through out the room. When the music stops, players must try to find a beach towel to stand on. The player without a beach towel loses.

(03/02/2008)

By Melissa