Neighbor Cats on My Porch

My neighbor's cats get on my porch every night. Besides scaring me awake, they pee on the carpeting and chairs and make a lot of racket. I cannot consult my neighbor about the problem as she is quite ill and I don't want to add to her distress. Is there any way I can deter the cats from using my porch?

Dolores from Las Vegas, NV

Answers:

Neighbor Cats on My Porch

Ive heard to spray vinegar, that cats hate that. There's also stuff at the pet supply store, one that's called "Kitty-no". I also use pepper like cayenne. I put it where they "went" once and they never go back to that spot after they smell there. Good luck. Here's a pic of my girl, who is not allowed outside. She's 10 and still a pretty girl, young at heart. (04/23/2007)

By Lily 59

RE: Neighbor Cats on My Porch

Neighbor Cats on My Porch

Try using orange oil, spraying it around or orange, grapefruit, or lemon peels. I've heard cats do not like citrus and will stay away. Good luck. (04/24/2007)

By Lynn

Neighbor Cats on My Porch

Try tin foil where they are going; they don't like the feel of it so they won't go there. Please don't use chemicals. I respect the women's opinion, but it could make your neighbor's cats sick. As for keeping them off your porch you need to scare them. Any loud noise will do. Try a boat horn these come in a air can like a spray cleaner for computers, but they make a loud noise when you push on the button. Couple of blasts from that ought to scare them enough they won't come back. (04/24/2007)

Neighbor Cats on My Porch

Well, first of all don't spray Raid, that is poison. I can suggest moth balls as they don't like the smell, but neither do humans so. It is a catch 22. I think the foil is a good idea.

Editor's Note: Mothballs are also poisonous. (04/24/2007)

By sandy63

Neighbor Cats on My Porch

My auntie fills a small plastic bottle about 1/3 full with small stones/pebbles and screws the lid on tight. When she hears the cats she just hurls the bottle near them. The loud noise scares them. She also uses a water spray bottle filled with a mixture of water and vinegar to spray near them. They hate the smell. I agree with the other readers about using anything with chemicals. If the cat gets the chemicals on the paws, they are likely to become sick when they lick their paws. (04/26/2007)

By Rae

Neighbor Cats on My Porch
Screened Porch
Flooring a Screened Porch
Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile
Screened Porch
Winterizing a Screened Porch
Neighborhood Cat On Porch
Keeping Neighborhood Cats Off Porch
🎄