New Mexico Frugal Travel Guide

New Mexico has something for just about every traveler, whether you enjoy winter sports, hiking, ancient Native American ruins, eating, or shopping you will find it in this gorgeous soutwestern state. This page has tips, photos and guides for traveling to New Mexico.

January 19, 2007 Flag

I am looking for suggestions (best time to visit, best sights to see, best places to stay) when visiting New Mexico from other travelers to the state or those living in New Mexico.

Thank you,
Ba Rok

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I just love the state of New Mexico! I have lived all my life in Texas, but if I ever can, I want to move to Carlsbad, NM. The caverns of Carlsbad are just stunning, and if you go in the summer, you can see the large bat family come out at evening to feed! Also try and go up into the mountains, the Five Star Point is just breathtaking! We did our own sightseeing, and found beautiful clear pools of water in the oddest places, so peaceful and quiet. The whole area has just a beauty and peace that is fantastic. I so loved to see the desert and in the background, towering snow capped mountains. I hope you enjoy the beauty of the desert in New Mexico, we sure did!

Best Answer

If you are a member of AAA I would go there and ask for a tour book on New Mexico.They supply travel books at no charge to AAA members.It will list all kinds of things to do as well as places to stay,eat,points of interest as well as maps.

If you are not a member go to your local book store and browse the travel section and read the tour books about New Mexico.

i love new mexico summer is definately the best time to visit "because i said so" quoted by the great me

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

November 22, 2010 Flag

While touring Santa Fe, New Mexico, we stopped to tour the Loretto Chapel, which is home to the Miraculous Staircase built by "St. Joseph, the Carpenter."

At the end of the Old Santa Fe Trail stands the Loretto Chapel. Inside the Gothic structure is the staircase referred to as miraculous, inexplicable, marvelous and is sometimes called St. Joseph's Staircase. The stairway confounds architects, engineers and master craftsmen.

It makes over two complete 360-degree turns, stands 20 feet tall and has no center support. It rests solely on its base and against the choir loft. The risers of the 33 steps are all of the same height. Made of an apparently extinct wood species, it was constructed with only square wooden pegs without glue or nails.

By Jillian

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

November 9, 2010 Flag

This is the long horn I spotted driving out of a canyon in New Mexico. He was standing there almost posing so I took advantage of the opportunity and snatched this magnificent photograph.

By Anna

Longhorn Cattle (New Mexico)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

August 18, 2011 Flag

We were on vacation in Juarez when I saw this on the side of the road. Naturally, I had to take a picture. I have never figured out how this was done.

By Kenneth S.

Car Decorated With White Iron Work in Mexico

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

November 23, 2010 Flag

Here are just a few photos of the beautiful caverns found underground in Carlsbad, New Mexico. There are several caverns to see, all of them unique and gorgeous. The tour took us a couple of hours, but I could have stayed much longer.

Just remember to take along a jacket or sweater no matter what time of year it is. It's chilly and moist down there! I plan on going back and taking more pictures. It's definitely one of the neatest places I've ever seen!

By Jillian

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

October 21, 2011 Flag

My husband and I took a 4 hour hike along Trail #22 in White Mountain Wilderness, Ruidoso, New Mexico. I was moved by its beauty. This is a place we return to every year.

Stream in White Mountain Wilderness

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 17, 2010 Flag

Coming over a hill in a tiny town in New Mexico; we saw the sunlight play on the other hills around us.

Sunrise (New Mexico)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Travel and Recreation Travel Guides US States New MexicoApril 4, 2013
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
Family in Car Leaving in Winter
Saving Money on Holiday Travel
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
New Mexico Christmas Charities
Hot Air Balloon at Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta
Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta - Travel Guide
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 3:49:07 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.