Nursing Home Crafts

I volunteer at a local nursing home and do crafts with the residents a couple times a month. The residents enjoy the following crafts:

Rubber stamping: Myself or a helper ink the stamp for the individual and place it on the paper. The resident pushes it down to make the stamped image. Most of the residents are able to push on the stamps. We have used the stamps for pictures, and then colored them in using craft chalks and eyeshadow applicators), to make greeting cards.

They also enjoy making cards and pictures using stickers. The helper removes the sticker from the sticker sheet and the resident places it on the craft.

Last week we made foam door signs with the resident's pictures on them (I ordered these from the Oriental Trading Company craft catalog - about $5 for a set of 12). The craft kit included self-adhesive letters and shapes. I took my digital camera and printer to the nursing home and we put the photos on the door signs. The residents really liked them.

They also enjoy making jewelry using pony beads or large wooden beads.

My helpers are my son and his friends. The kids enjoy the crafts as much as the residents do, plus the residents enjoy seeing the kids.

By KimberlyJ from Redford, Michigan

Nursing Home Crafts

In time you get back more than you give. Blessing will come to you for what you're doing for the residents, and it's giving me ideas. Thank you. (08/05/2009)

By tennesue

Elderly Woman doing needle work
Craft Ideas for Nursing Home Patients
Elderly woman stringing beads
Crafts for Visually Impaired Nursing Home Patients
elderly man with a gift
Valentine's Day Gifts Ideas for a Nursing Home
Two elderly women playing dominos.
Nursing Home Games Ideas
Nursing Home Gift Basket
Nursing Home Gift Basket Ideas