Activities for Middle Aged Nursing Home Residents?

Man with grey beard painting on an easelMy husband is 52 and recently went to live in a care facility. I visit him everyday and he is depressed because he is lacking stimulation. I need any ideas on activities he can do at the home. Any suggestions? He is capable of using all limbs and has good sight and dexterity.

By Jessie S from NC

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 169 Posts

He might be mortified at the suggestion but knitting and crocheting are excellent pass times. So many are in need of afghans, mittens and winter hats he could provide a great service as well as keep his mind active.
They could be sold or given away depending upon your situation.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 186 Feedbacks

He could play solitaire. My former mother-in-law is in a nursing home, in a wheel chair because she is missing one leg, and is approaching 100 and she helps bake cakes, etc. They also have a hand bell choir or whatever they are called that she participates in.

They also have jigsaw puzzles set up that residents can work on whenever they want to. Do they have computers that the residents can use. Then for me there would always be reading, because I am the proverbial bookworm. lol

What about building bird houses? He can start with a kit if carpentry is new to him. Or tying flys for fishing. Not only would these occupy his mind and time, but he could give these things as presents, or sell them.

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 288 Posts

Wood carving, soap carving, oil, water color, pasteles, painting in so many mediums now ( art classes? ) and may I suggest one more thing? Long ago I used to save used greeting cards, get well and thinking of you and Christmas mostly. I used colored poster paper, folded in half and cut out the flowers,or animals etc and / or sayings and glued to the fronts and inside to make hand made "new " greeting cards for patients in nursing homes/children's wards and hospitals.

Maybe you can get a group together to brighten the days of other patients there.

Keep Smiling, It is contagious. GG Vi

Entertainment AdviceJune 14, 2016
📓
🌻
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Activities-for-Middle-Aged-Nursing-Home-Residents.html