Nursing Home Games Ideas

Games are a great way to engage senior citizens in nursing homes. This guide contains fun game ideas for nursing home residents.

April 22, 2015 Flag

I need to get ideas for the ladies that would like to get together to either talk or knit something that would take their minds off of where they are for awhile.

By Sue

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How about an exercise program? I did, the ladies had a lot of fun.

One day discuss current news events to keep them involved in the larger world.

Maybe ask ahead of time for places then one day discuss places they may have visited in their lifetimes and perhaps show a dvd (free from library) on different places and let them tell about it (like they are a travel host).

Sing alongs

Penpals/write to service persons to encourage them

Plant seeds or garden

Birdwatch (some places need helpers to count birds at their bird feeders-check Cornell University) discuss various birds.

Breathing exercises/meditation

Yoga (even chair yoga if necessary)

Volunteering to stuff envelopes for a church or non profit in area

Learning something new including the internet!

Inviting each person to host a day and talk about their fondest memory.

Writing or recording special stories or experiences they had in their life. Ex: My most memorable day...and each can read theirs.

Asking each to bring in one (or more) special photo's from their life.

Writing something that they think might benefit younger generations... rules to live by and make a compilation to send in to your local paper. They might print it and give them some credit for their wisdom!

I recently joined Project Linus where they provide blankets for children in hospitals, disasters, etc. I crochet but others knit. You could check for the nearest chapter to you and let the ladies knit blankets for this worthy cause. Makes they feel good to contribute and enjoy their time together also.

October 6, 2010 Flag

I'm looking for games to play with my resident at an assisted living facility.

By Jeannie from Mulvane, KS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are you looking for games that involve large groups or games that can involve 1 - 4 players (for example to have at different tables)?

Solitaire, jigsaw/crossword puzzles, word search for just one person to play.

For more than one player, Checkers, Yahtzee, Dominos, Trivial Pursuit, Bingo, and other board games.

Simon Says was always good for laughs. We did it a couple of times in the 8 weeks I spent at a nursing home. It can be played with as many or as few as are present.

I was wondering what are some great games for a large group bout 8 people , we do bingo and penny Annie .

Skipbo, Yahtzee

Team scategories. Dry erase board marker and gather ideas for a timed period and compare answers and u get points for ones that the other team did not have

Remember when. Finish the phrase or song title words from words , see how many words you can make from a word or phrase

October 1, 2010 Flag

I need a 5 minute mystery for an assisted living/nursing home game, "Who's got the jewels?"

By DG from IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Plant a jewel in private on someone well before the game begins and have others ask questions to find out who might have the gem. You could write down questions and place them in a container to be drawn from to help bring hidden clues to surface. The people can then make a guess from the answered questions before the next one draws. Some examples:

Q.1 What time of day was the jewel found missing?

Q.2 What room was it taken?

Q.3 Was anyone seen wearing jewelry?

Q.4 Where would be a good hiding place to look?

If they still haven't decided who has the jewels after all inquiries are done, then they can discuss between them and make a group decision.

I played such a made up game with my g.daughter in the wintertime who is in a wheelchair and I took things around my house and had a hiding place and she had to find items from clues placed in the room. Her last search ended at my camera where she saw a picture of my dog beside the items. My g.daughter got the biggest kick outta that.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

May 11, 2009 Flag

Everyone's family has someone that's living in a nursing home. My mother-in-law's nursing home recently had a beauty pageant for the residents. They had their hair done, got to dress up with jewelery and make-up. It was a big event! The cafeteria was decorated with flowers and balloons, there was an announcer. Of course, there was a crown for the Beauty Queen, but all the contestants were given a small prize and a rose. What a difference it made in the morale at the nursing home.

The anticipation alone, gave them all something to look forward to. Self-confidence is always there, you just have to remember to bring it out for all to see.If any of you have a loved one in a nursing home, don't be shy, suggest a beauty pageant.

By vguy from Earle, AR

Elderly woman in red

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

I was confined to a nursing home for several months after a car wreck. Our Activities people were great, but if they ever had a beauty pageant I never knew about it. This is really a great idea and very uplifting! Thanks for sharing.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes
Better Living Senior LivingSeptember 5, 2013
Saving Money on Video Games
Saving Money on Video Games
elderly man with a gift
Valentine's Day Gifts Ideas for a Nursing Home
Woman playing Wii
Saving Money on Wii Games
Nursing Home Gift Basket
Nursing Home Gift Basket Ideas
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2017 at 11:12:39 PM on 10.0.1.245 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.