Organizing Activities for Children

Having a plan for keeping children entertained can make for a lot more fun for everyone. This guide is about organizing activities for children.

Filter Sort

Tip: Bring Tote Bag with Children's Activities

By deb 5

I recently relocated to my son's home to care for my two grandchildren (ages 13 and 7) while my daughter-in-law recovered from brain surgery. I soon discovered that waiting times were the worst for them so I now have a tote bag filled with dollar store items and pens, paper, and pencils to keep them occupied while we "wait". I have found that a monthly trip to the dollar store or even garage sales can economically provide fun and entertainment for them. There is no arguing and plenty of quiet when we are in the offices waiting on Mom to be seen. I take this tote everywhere with us!

By debbygirl57 from Woodland , CA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Traveling Activity Kit for Kids

By Ann Winberg 306 239

When you get tired of hearing "how far is it now" pull this kit out to entertain them for a while longer. You can personalize it to suit your children or grandchildren.

Approximate Time: varies

• plastic tub with a lid
  • felt scraps
  • tacky glue
  • scissors
  • acrylic paints in various colors
  • chalkboard paint
  • chalk
  • old sock
  • crayons
  • pencils, eraser, sharpener
  • notepad
  • magnetic sheet
  • magnets
  • foam brush
  • buttons
  • heavy string
  • colored Sharpie paint pen
  • snack size bags
  • piece of corrugated cardboard

Instructions:

1. Make a pattern of the inside shape of the box. Then use this pattern to cut your cardboard and magnetic sheet.
  2. Paint the cardboard with the chalkboard paint. Apply three coats on each side letting each coat dry.
  3. Brush the opposite way with each following coat.
  4. After both sides are painted and dried thoroughly rub a piece of chalk over the entire surface to condition it. Use a soft cloth like the sock to clean it.
  5. Making a Travel Chack Board

6. Lay the chalkboard aside for now.
  7. Travel Chack Board

8. Divide the magnetic sheet into 1 inch rows both directions and paint a grid. Across one end paint "start" in the first row of squares and "finish" in the other end squares.
  9. In random squares paint things like sing a song, tell a joke, recite a nursery rhyme and paint one or more that say FREE.
  10. I left a few blank for the kids to make up their own things for their brother and sister to do for them.
  11. I printed out a picture of my three grandchildren and stuck them to the magnets after peeling the paper from the magnet; the third I left blank for a guest or mom or dad to use.
  12. Peel off the paper from the back of the sheet and press it into the bottom of your container. I added a set of dice and bagged the magnets with the dice.
  13. Travel Game

14. On the lid I glued 1 inch squares into a tic tac toe board and bagged 5 gray and 5 white buttons for the tokens.
  15. For the game around the outside rim on the inside of the lid, I glued squares around 1 inch wide made from different colors of felt. I put a different color in each of the four corners. Then I painted four shank buttons to match the corners, drew an arrow showing them the direction in which to play, and bagged the buttons again adding a set of dice.
  16. finished game board with squares

17. With all of the bags with buttons, I put a label on them telling which game they went with.
  18. Decorate the lid however you want.
  19. Travel Activity Kit Lid

20. I also added a personal note and directions to some of the games taped to the inside of the lid.
  21. I always loved stringing buttons so I chose to add some large buttons and a length of all-purpose string which I ran over some wax to stiffen. I tied a shank button on one end and enclosed all in a bag. I made two of these just in case a fight ensued.
  22. I stuck in a set of flash cards and some pages from a coloring book, you can add anything your little ones like. It is really easy to personalize this activity kit and a great way to entertain them when their batteries go dead on all of the electronic gadgets kids have or don't have.
  23. You might even stick in a second set of batteries. Have fun making the kit.

By Ann from Loup City, NE

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Rainy Day Craft Box For Children

By LuvMyGingerKids 46 316

I used a hat box, but any box will do. Place the following in the box:

• Scissors
  • School glue
  • Glue stick
  • Watercolor set
  • Colored pencils
  • Construction paper
Take a walk around your home and collect things that would make good collage materials:
  • Cotton balls
  • Empty toilet paper rolls
  • Toothpicks
  • Chopsticks
  • Lids from various jars
  • A couple of paper towels
  • Dried beans
  • Dried pasta
  • Dried rice
  • Old magazines
  • Comics
  • Costume jewelry
  • Scraps of fabric
  • Beads
  • Yarn
  • Used envelopes
  • Used labels
  • Greeting cards
Have your children help you think of ways of organizing their art supplies (empty yogurt containers with lids, zipper baggies, etc.)

Remember to ensure that the box remains well-stocked. Whenever you (or your children) are about to throw something away, consider putting it in the box instead.

Rainy days won't be quite so dreary anymore. :)

By Laura from Long Beach, CA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Craft Activities for a Children's Festival

By Margaret Oren 10 18

I am looking for creative children's activities for a festival-like setting.

By Margaret

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Margaret Oren 10 18 Flag

Thank you for another good idea. There will be several kids with autism there. It would take a little guidance for them, maybe, but the experience, body movement, color, and making things change through an activity, would be good.

Thanks so much.

M. O.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Children's Activity Box

By Tahloolabelle 36 90

Keep an "activity box" on hand. Organizing one day, I took a big cardboard box and filled it with the things that I had available for children to play with. I was surprised at the crayons, coloring books, chalk, jump ropes, etc. that I had amassed.

I was pretty pleased that it was all organized, but when the children came by they shot directly to the box to get their activities going. It was a great time of play for them and a great time of wonderful, uninterrupted conversation for the adults! My sister nicknamed it the "sanity box"!

By Trisha from Ventura, CA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Activity Kit For Kids
Organizing ChildrenJanuary 3, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Winter Activities For Kids
Winter Activities For Kids
Elderly Woman Walking with Daughter
Activities for the Elderly and Disabled
preschooler painting
Educational Activities for Preschoolers
In a wheelchair doing laundry.
Organizing Your Home When You Have a Disability
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 3:05:57 AM on 10.0.1.199 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings