Organizing Your Computer Desk

Whether you work from home or go into your office, your computer desk can get out of control very quickly. Here are some tips for keeping it clean and organized so you can work more efficiently. This is a guide for organizing your computer desk.

September 29, 2011 Flag

If you have a lot of computer games and programs, an easy way to keep track of them and keep the ones you use most right at your fingertips is to invest in a CD folder. You can even get them at the dollar store now, and there are usually about 12 pockets in the small ones.

What I do is I put games in two, and computer programs like my backup disks, in another. I organize the disks with the ones we use most in front, and put the folders in my computer desk. All the big bulky boxes the games come in and the plastic cases are in a box in storage and I have a lot more room around my computer, plus all my disks are in one spot and easy to get to.

Source: Trying to organize better and keep my son's favorite games easy to find.

By Shannon from Lakewood, OH

This is a really good idea. Space around the computer is always limited, so getting rid of all the bulky boxes would really streamline things, and get rid of the clutter. Thanks for the idea - I'm doing it today!

The computer games, and games like the Wii are great stress relievers for our study groups that are here about 3-4 nights a week. They take a break, grab a bite to eat and play a game for 15-20 minutes and then study for another couple of hours.

Sometimes, they have little contests between partners which is fun to watch them too. I don't know one earthly thing about any game after the first Super Mario. I loved that one. I think it was on Nintendo though. I can't keep track of all the different types of machines and the games that's played on them. I like some of the graphics on them though. Very colorful and they look like fun. They take some skill to play them too, and I've read that children who play them have better learning skills and coordination. They're not all bad.

You definitely need some kind of organized way of keeping them. The DVDs too. And now with BluRay which I love, there's a lot more to see and enjoy.

Thumbs up. Pookarina

October 1, 2009 Flag

When we set up the computer in our spare bedroom, I needed an area to show pictures, messages, and reminders. I hung a bulletin board on the wall behind the monitor so I could hang things to catch my attention. Making them visible as soon as I sit down. I also found a a clear acrylic desk pad for the computer desk so I could display pictures under that and see them clearly.

I wanted a small bookcase to store paper, books, files, etc. I found a black shoe rack. I turned it up-side-down and it worked wonderfully in that space. I have 2 shelves to place items and it works great. I hung an old KE lamp in the corner for extra light.

By Little Suzy from Millbury, OH

You've done a great job on using your ol' noodle! If it was possible, I would do this in my apartment. I can never get enough storage space, I have too much junk. LOL.

Great job! There is nothing like the feeling of walking into a really tidy room.

August 10, 2009 Flag

I had some polished stones and was playing around with Super Glue and I glued a couple of stones onto the desk at the end so the things would not fall off. I did the same thing by gluing a nickel on the TV Stand, partly as a joke, but it worked so well I left it on.

December 18, 2010 Flag

All these posts about recycling and green living got me all riled up. My husband and I live in a small condo and our computer desk is in the corner of the living room. Up until this morning, I had a tall kitchen can in my living room near my computer desk.

March 29, 2010 Flag

Sometimes I like to stow away my keyboard so that I can use my desktop surface for something else. It's generally not a great idea to put things on top of a closed laptop, which is what I had been doing.

January 20, 2013 Flag

My computer desk is not all that big, just 6 feet. I live by my calendar now that I am doing more fundraisers and such. It was by the keyboard and I always had to write on it sideways, or try and scooch my body and chair on the carpeting just to get 12 inches closer.

Desk add-on for calendar and craft books.

September 28, 2013 Flag

I collect lots of articles, search references, make quick notes lots of times, and do print outs. When a few days go by and the room is messy I pile them all in one area, but need hours to find any specific info. in a time of need. How do I organize all of this paperwork? Thanks.

By Julie C

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Scan it into your computer. Set up some different folders for your various subjects and move the scans into the folders. There are some nice apps out there, such as Evernote or Microsoft OneNote that help you create searchable notebooks.

Hi I'd like to recommend a couple of recent articles that may help you. ... wrong-heres-why-its-actually-amazing

I can't locate the article from PC world but it does a nice job explaining simply scanning items into the computer, setting up various folders. Hope that helps.

October 10, 2011 Flag

I have a small living room in a one-bedroom apartment so I set aside one corner of it for my computer station. I have a small shelf in back of me against the wall, then my desk with my filing cabinet on the side of it.

Computer desk and shelves

Organizing OfficeAugust 1, 2011
Photo of the wires behind a computer desk.
Organizing Computer Wires
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks
A stack of CDs or DVDs
Saving Money On Computer Software