Organizing Your Computer Desk

Category Office
Whether you work from home or go into your office, your computer desk can get out of control very quickly. Here are some tips for keeping it clean and organized so you can work more efficiently. This is a guide for organizing your computer desk.

If you have a lot of computer games and programs, an easy way to keep track of them and keep the ones you use most right at your fingertips is to invest in a CD folder. You can even get them at the dollar store now, and there are usually about 12 pockets in the small ones.

What I do is I put games in two, and computer programs like my backup disks, in another. I organize the disks with the ones we use most in front, and put the folders in my computer desk. All the big bulky boxes the games come in and the plastic cases are in a box in storage and I have a lot more room around my computer, plus all my disks are in one spot and easy to get to.

Source: Trying to organize better and keep my son's favorite games easy to find.

By Shannon from Lakewood, OH

This is a really good idea. Space around the computer is always limited, so getting rid of all the bulky boxes would really streamline things, and get rid of the clutter. Thanks for the idea - I'm doing it today!

When we set up the computer in our spare bedroom, I needed an area to show pictures, messages, and reminders. I hung a bulletin board on the wall behind the monitor so I could hang things to catch my attention. Making them visible as soon as I sit down. I also found a a clear acrylic desk pad for the computer desk so I could display pictures under that and see them clearly.

I wanted a small bookcase to store paper, books, files, etc. I found a black shoe rack. I turned it up-side-down and it worked wonderfully in that space. I have 2 shelves to place items and it works great. I hung an old KE lamp in the corner for extra light.

By Little Suzy from Millbury, OH

You've done a great job on using your ol' noodle! If it was possible, I would do this in my apartment. I can never get enough storage space, I have too much junk. LOL.

I had some polished stones and was playing around with Super Glue and I glued a couple of stones onto the desk at the end so the things would not fall off. I did the same thing by gluing a nickel on the TV Stand, partly as a joke, but it worked so well I left it on.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton TN

I put the nickel on the TV stand to keep the surge protector from falling off, and the rock for decoration on the desk to keep something else from falling off.

All these posts about recycling and green living got me all riled up. My husband and I live in a small condo and our computer desk is in the corner of the living room. Up until this morning, I had a tall kitchen can in my living room near my computer desk.

Sometimes I like to stow away my keyboard so that I can use my desktop surface for something else. It's generally not a great idea to put things on top of a closed laptop, which is what I had been doing.

Desk add-on for calendar and craft books.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

My computer desk is not all that big, just 6 feet. I live by my calendar now that I am doing more fundraisers and such. It was by the keyboard and I always had to write on it sideways, or try and scooch my body and chair on the carpeting just to get 12 inches closer.

Computer desk and shelves

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

I have a small living room in a one-bedroom apartment so I set aside one corner of it for my computer station. I have a small shelf in back of me against the wall, then my desk with my filing cabinet on the side of it.

I collect lots of articles, search references, make quick notes lots of times, and do print outs. When a few days go by and the room is messy I pile them all in one area, but need hours to find any specific info. in a time of need. How do I organize all of this paperwork? Thanks.

By Julie C

Scan it into your computer. Set up some different folders for your various subjects and move the scans into the folders. There are some nice apps out there, such as Evernote or Microsoft OneNote that help you create searchable notebooks.

Hi I'd like to recommend a couple of recent articles that may help you.

http://lifehack  actually-amazing

I can't locate the article from PC world but it does a nice job explaining simply scanning items into the computer, setting up various folders. Hope that helps.