Paint Suggestion for Black and White Kitchen

We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen in a black and white design. My home is 170 years old, and I wish to maintain the character as well. The cabinets are white, counter is black quartz, the back splash is a random pattern of black and white ceramic tiles. The floor tiles are a gray/green porcelain. The kitchen opens into the family room. I would like to paint the walls white, but my contractor is concerned it is too much white. What color do you suggest I use? We are also going to paint the family room, so I am open to a color for this room, and I really like shades of red, yellow, and tans.

Cindi L. from Newark, OH

Answers:

How about a color that's close to the gray/green porcelain tiles? A pale sage green would be a nice color for the living room, and there are lots of colors that go with green. (02/24/2008)

By luvmygingerkids

I agree that pulling color from the tiles would be a good choice- It's also a historical color, if I remember correctly, our house is 168 year old this year. If you go to your paint store, you can get little booklets that have color combinations using not just historical colors, but tons of good ones. As for matching the red/tan/yellows you have in mind, you just listed all of the other colors in our house. And I assure you they look great- We had the help of a designer, too. Tell you what, have the contractor prime the walls you want to paint, then take a look at how much white there will be. Then get a small sample of a matching green and paint it in a few places around the wall to see how the light hits it. I think you'll love it. Good luck. (02/24/2008)

By Beth - MA

Use a grey/green for the kitchen and a deep red for the family room. (02/24/2008)

By perfume and powder

Red as an accent wall. Pick one that goes with your other colors. (02/24/2008)

By Pat

Light tan or dark cream looks really good with black and white. Be careful with red. It's a great accent color but start with a little and add more until you're happy. It's a color that will overpower quickly. (02/25/2008)

By

I like the suggestions about pulling from the tiles as it is the only permanent color you have now. If you really want white, you can choose from a collection of "whites" that are only slightly hued. It might be a good compromise. (02/26/2008)

By Lynn Beth

How about turqoise as an accent wall? (02/,26/2008)

By mommamoody

Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
A woman pushing a cart of presents.
Finding Black Friday Deals Online
🎉
🎄