Paint Is Not Adhering to Old Paint

Category Painting
When your new paint is not adhering to old paint, you may have used latex paint on oil base paint. You may need to strip the oil based paint. The surface you are painting needs to be clean and sometimes sanded.

We are trying to paint over the existing paint and although we have rubbed it down the paint isn't going on.
Please help.

Answers

Best Answer

Did you sand it? Paint wont stick to a glossy surface.

Best Answer

Get rid of any dirt or buildup with a cleaner and rinse. Sand rough spots and wipe away dust, then paint.

Best Answer

A lot of times if the old paint oil based (like a lot of older paint is), the newer latex paints will not stick (and vice versa) and if they stick they don't stay on for long. You could try an oil base indoor paint if you've been trying to use latex paint.

or if you want to continue using latex, then One thing you could try would be to prime it and then paint, or if that doesn't work, then your last resort is to scrape and sand off the former paint (this works for trim, doors, and cabinets, not walls however).

Best Answer

If the paint is very old, you'll need to use a primer on the surface before painting again. Some older paints were oil based and normally won't be easy to paint over if your paint isn't oiled based. I'd suggest cleaning the walls with Afterwards, buy a primer and paint the walls. Let this dry and apply your other paint. This should work and you'll be able to paint the walls a different color.

I have painted 3/4 of my kitchen. The problem: I can scrape the paint off with a fingernail. It has been dry for two months. I think that I must have had oil based paint on the walls. Then I painted over that with a flat paint. Can I save these walls without hiring a pro? How can I fix this?

By Samantha from Albany, GA

Answers

Best Answer

That is exactly what you have. You will have to strip the latex paint and start over. If you want to use latex paint you will have to prime first, you can use an oil base primer then use latex paint but latex paint will not adhere to oil base paint. I always use oil base primer then I don't have to worry what kind of paint I use. Don't feel bad we have all done it. I worked in a paint store for several years so I speak of experience. I also did the same thing in my kitchen.

Best Answer

Must be old oil base paint. As what Sherwin Williams paint people tell me they are not making oil based paints any more. The problem I think is the base may be oil or enamel paint. This has a very smooth surface and shiny surface. It should have been scuffed up with fine grit sand paper cleaned and then painted. I have painted over oil base paint with latex with no difficulty.

Best Answer

It could be that it was not clean enough before you started painting. Did you use any kind of cleaner and did you rinse it well?

Even if it is a semi-gloss paint, and you use a flat over it, you should prime it first if you want it to stick.

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingSeptember 19, 2019
🌻
🎃
🎂