Making Photo Tiles

Category Gifts
collection of photos
Adhering photos to tiles is a great project if you are looking for a unique gift for a friend or family member. This is a guide about making photo tiles.

When using Mod Podge to seal your photo tiles and you want to avoid brushstrokes, take a piece of sponge and stipple it on top. You could also use a clear spray lacquer instead.

You won't be able to tell there is any finish on the items in the photos. The smaller 2x2 tiles have a magnet adhered on the back. The first small tile was used as a party favor for a 100th birthday, and everyone loved them! One of the tiles is a photo taken in the rain, that is not Mod Podge brush strokes. The larger is 5 x 7 photo that I mod podged to canvas and then stippled Mod Podge over the photo.

There are many ways to ways to use and repurpose ceramic and glass tiles to create something unique. This guide contains crafts using tiles.

Tile Craft

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

I belong to a Red Hat Society and I would like to make photo tiles 4x4 for each member with their photo. Any idea on how to do this?

Thanks,
Johnnetta from Clayton, NJ

Best Answer

Hi, I just did this for my family for Christmas. There are 2 ways. A friend of mine used card stock, and regular modge podge. A layer underneath and a layer on top. The lines were very obvious from the brush, so she made designs with the brush, waves, diagonal lines, etc. I think she put a layer on top too. She also tore the edges of the card stock and printed in b+w to give it an antique look.

I used photo paper, and hard coat modge podge. My lines were also obvious, but not as obvious as hers. I also made designs with my brush to make it look intentional. After I adhered my photos to the tiles, I gently sanded the edges of the photo (with a fine grit sanding sponge) for a distressed look. I also printed in b+w. I cut the photos to almost the edge of the tiles before I glued them down. My friend left a little over 1/4 inch border around her photo. Don't forget the little felt pads underneath the tile if you intend on them for coasters. Good Luck.

I have a tile with a photo printed on it. I want to give it as a gift. Is there a simple way in which I can present it without putting it in a frame? Please give suggestions.

By VJ

We have some tiles with hand prints on them that we put on little stands. I believe they are plate stands. See the attached image. Might be a nice alternative to framing.

Where do you find the instructions for putting photos on tile and for making the 4X4 coasters? What type of glue and top coat and so forth? This sounds like something I would enjoy.

By Naomi P

This might help. I just googled "How do I put photos on tile?" and this Instructables page came up. Good luck!

http://www.inst  for-less-than-3/