Decorating With Old Paint

Category Painting
If you have some old paint that needs to be used up, you can paint small areas or mix it with other paint to help complete your decorating project. This is a guide about decorating with old paint.

Out of money and couldn't get a job, I decided to rent out my spare bedroom. The walls were riddled with nail holes and it hadn't been painted in 12 years. I looked closely at the color, a light mint green. There was a wall paper border at the top of the wall and then above that another 6 inches of painted wall. Because I'm a senior and can no longer climb a ladder, I took a good look at the ceiling paint. It looked good so I decided not to paint it. But ouch! The dreaded cost of buying a gallon of paint at $50 was painful.

Then I remembered a gallon of Benjamin Moore paint that I had in the garage for the past 10 years. It was Dove White and I only used 1/4 of it. I checked it out and it was still in great shape. I chipped out some paint from the wall, grabbed the old gallon of paint and went to the BJ store. I asked the man there to tint the old paint to match the chips. After a little begging and no guarantee that it would be an exact match, he did it and for free. I purchased paint tape to protect the wall paper border from him for $5.00 and went home.

Once home I painted the walls from under the wall paper border down to the floor baseboard nothing else. It looked great and fooled everyone who saw the room. It was a perfect match! I will never ever again throw out partially used paint or buy more paint if I can do this with it.

The mint green color doesn't show too well in the pics but trust me it looks good. Total cost to paint the room: $5.00 The best part: I didn't have to climb a ladder to paint the ceiling.

Great looking room because of your resourceful paint job! It looks very welcoming, I hope you've found a wonderful new boarder who appreciates both your hard work and your frugality:)

Fantastic job ~ Love it!

The city I live in has a chemical recycling center. They have paint anyone can go and get for free. If you are matching a color like in this story, it probably won't work unless you are really lucky. But if you don't care what color something is, it is a great way to paint something for just the cost of the supplies like brushes and tape.

Great job! Glad you were able to salvage your old paint. Sounds like a great commercial for Benjamin Moore paint too. ;) Good luck with your boarder search. Please be careful and make sure you check them out well. "It's better to be too safe, then too sorry."