Painting Kitchen With Grey/Black Counters

I have a U-shaped kitchen, with black appliances, and blonde color laminate floor. I want to paint the cabinets and the walls, but I'm not sure what colors to do. We will be buying a grey/black granite counter top, so I wanted the cabinets to be a light grey color.

My living room is right beside the kitchen and can be seen from the kitchen, and it's going to be painted a light taupe/brown. So what color do I do the kitchen walls, and black splash?

Rachel from Calgary, AB

Answers:

Painting Kitchen With Grey/Black Coutners

You could choose a golden tan to match your blond counter top, or you can go a bit wild and choose a silver paint (Ralph Loren makes it) or even a gray (dark, light, or medium), then use a bright red (or another bright color) as an accent color. It could be it a tomato red or even a burgundy red (or even green, mustard or cobalt) and since your living room is a neutral color you can do pretty much anything you want in the adjoining room.

But read what I said about using something you really love to decorate around in this post: thriftyfun.com

Opps. I just read you're from Alberta. This means you have very little sunshine. (See above URL). Stay away from grays and choose a color with golden hues (like a golden beige, mustard or a golden tan, otherwise you'll get depressed with all that gray and little sunshine. I'm a firm believer in using decorating colors that match the climate you live in. (09/12/2008)

By Cyinda