Painting Over Contact Paper

Sometimes it is more tempting to paint over contact paper than try to remove it. This is a guide about painting over contact paper.

Painting
Filter Sort

Question: Painting Over Contact Paper

By Caroline 1

I'm moving into an apartment that will not allow me to paint any dark colors on the walls. The only color that will possibly look good is dark red. Would putting clear or white contact paper up on the walls, priming, and painting over that work? And how difficult is it to remove contact paper when it's time to move out?

By CarolineJ from MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Linda L. 83 330 Flag

Contact paper is a pain to remove. There are textured, strippable wallpapers you can get that are meant to be painted over.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Painting Old Contact Paper

Is there a product than can be on the old Contact paper which will then allow me to paint over it?

By Margot L from Philadelphia, PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By cagarts 5 Flag

Not sure where the contact paper is or what shape it's in, but try Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. Google it to learn more. It covers almost anything without priming and sticks. Gorgeous colors too. Otherwise, a good primer such as Zinnser (sp) should do the trick. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Painting Contact Paper

We have contact paper on a section of wallboard in our laundry room and are painting the room. It is not a section that gets touched or brushed against often and I would like to know if we can paint it to match the rest of the room?

By M.L.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Painting Over Contact Paper

I have terrible old fashioned vinyl contact paper up in my kitchen. I did want to paint over it, but the fear of it coming off has halted me.

Megan from SA

Feedback:

RE: Painting Over Contact Paper

I think you'd better take the contact paper off before you paint. I think the vinyl is a type of plastic and paint will not stick to it. Good luck. (12/20/2006)

By Connie from Canada

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingJanuary 31, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Contact Paper Crafts
Craft Uses for Contact Paper
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Uses for Contact Lens Cases, Green and white contact lens case.
Uses for Contact Lens Cases
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 6:34:40 PM on 10.0.0.227 in 974 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings