Painting Over Contact Paper

Sometimes it is more tempting to paint over contact paper than try to remove it. This is a guide about painting over contact paper.

Painting
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I'm moving into an apartment that will not allow me to paint any dark colors on the walls. The only color that will possibly look good is dark red. Would putting clear or white contact paper up on the walls, priming, and painting over that work? And how difficult is it to remove contact paper when it's time to move out?

By CarolineJ from MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Contact paper is a pain to remove. There are textured, strippable wallpapers you can get that are meant to be painted over.

Read More Answers...

Is there a product than can be on the old Contact paper which will then allow me to paint over it?

By Margot L from Philadelphia, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Not sure where the contact paper is or what shape it's in, but try Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. Google it to learn more. It covers almost anything without priming and sticks. Gorgeous colors too. Otherwise, a good primer such as Zinnser (sp) should do the trick. Hope this helps.

I have terrible old fashioned vinyl contact paper up in my kitchen. I did want to paint over it, but the fear of it coming off has halted me.

Megan from SA

Painting Over Contact Paper

I think you'd better take the contact paper off before you paint. I think the vinyl is a type of plastic and paint will not stick to it. Good luck. (12/20/2006)

By Connie from Canada

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingJanuary 31, 2013
Contact Paper Crafts
Craft Uses for Contact Paper
Uses for Contact Lens Cases, Green and white contact lens case.
Uses for Contact Lens Cases
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
woman cleaning
Removing Glue Residue Left By Contact Paper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 12, 2016 at 2:23:27 PM on 10.0.1.161 in 422 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.