Share Crafts

Painting Over Contact Paper

Sometimes it is more tempting to paint over contact paper than try to remove it. This is a guide about painting over contact paper.

Here are questions related to Painting Over Contact Paper.

Question: Painting Over Contact Paper

I'm moving into an apartment that will not allow me to paint any dark colors on the walls. The only color that will possibly look good is dark red. Would putting clear or white contact paper up on the walls, priming, and painting over that work? And how difficult is it to remove contact paper when it's time to move out?

By CarolineJ from MI

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Linda L. 83 322 08/15/2009

Contact paper is a pain to remove. There are textured, strippable wallpapers you can get that are meant to be painted over.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Painting Old Contact Paper

Is there a product than can be on the old Contact paper which will then allow me to paint over it?

By Margot L from Philadelphia, PA

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By cagarts 5 03/18/2012

Not sure where the contact paper is or what shape it's in, but try Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. Google it to learn more. It covers almost anything without priming and sticks. Gorgeous colors too. Otherwise, a good primer such as Zinnser (sp) should do the trick. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Painting Contact Paper

We have contact paper on a section of wallboard in our laundry room and are painting the room. It is not a section that gets touched or brushed against often and I would like to know if we can paint it to match the rest of the room?

By M.L.

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Solutions: Painting Over Contact Paper

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: Painting Over Contact Paper

I have terrible old fashioned vinyl contact paper up in my kitchen. I did want to paint over it, but the fear of it coming off has halted me.

Megan from SA

RE: Painting Over Contact Paper

I think you'd better take the contact paper off before you paint. I think the vinyl is a type of plastic and paint will not stick to it. Good luck. (12/20/2006)

By Connie from Canada