Browsing: Painting Stainless Steel

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Painting Stainless Steel

Because of its smooth surface there are a couple of steps you will want to take to prepare your stainless steel surface prior to applying paint. This is a guide about painting stainless steel.

paint can with red paint
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 19, 2010 Flag

Can someone kindly supply me with information regarding the type of paint required to use on stainless steel? As the law in Malta states that no balcony is allowed in the colour of silver or gold, I was advised to manufacture three balconies in stainless steel and then paint them. The main reason for painting is because the house is sea front. Thanking you.

E. Borg

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

As long as you first clean the metal off with rubbing alcohol & a clean rag & don't touch it. Then you can use any kind of enamel spray paint, as long as it's not water-based! I would use "Rustoleum". It's made to hold up to the weather & outdoors!

Stainless steel is relatively inert, hence paint adhesion could be a problem. Paint adhesion to stainless steel is enhanced by using pretreatments. Hydrofluoric acid etching is a pretreatment. Surface abrasion is a pretreatment. Wash primers are also pretreatments. I don't like to recommend hydrofluoric acid etches because of the safety hazard. It must always be used under controlled conditions. When people use dangerous chemicals, I generally issue the following caveat: Don't do this at home kids!

You can eliminate the hydrofluoric acid if you roughen the surface by abrading. This can be done by sanding, wire brushing or media blasting. It is important to note that the first step in any pretreatment is surface degreasing. After degreasing and abrading, apply the wash primer as soon as possible. After the wash primer has dried, the topcoat or gel coat can be applied.

Since you are using stainless steel and corrosion is not a major issue, you can eliminate a corrosion resistant primer. Otherwise, a corrosion resistant primer such as a two-component epoxy should be applied over the wash primer and before the topcoat.

After Googling a few sites, I'm seeing that your stainless likely needs to be cleaned, sanded and then a wash primer, vinyl primer and finally, enamel topcoat of your choice applied.

September 5, 2013 Flag

I fixed scratches and gouges in my frig door and in the process it took the color out of the area. The door is discontinued so I can't replace it. The rest of the frig is black, so I am thinking about painting the door black. Has anyone painted stainless steel appliances? What is best paint to use? Thanks.

By Nancy from Marion, IA

Automotive primer and paint. Make sure you rough te surface up well in order for the primer and paint to stick.

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingMay 30, 2013
A badly burned stainless steel pan
Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware
Stainless Steel Cookware
Switching to Stainless Steel Cookware
Cleaning a stainless steel dishwasher.
Cleaning Fingerprints Off Stainless Steel
Stainless Steel Dishwasher
Converting Appliances to Stainless Steel
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 10:17:20 PM on 10.0.2.51 in 924 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.