Painting a Bathtub

Before repainting a bathtub must the shower doors and faucet be removed?

By Tmdurf from Lake Charles, LA

Answers:

Painting a Bathtub

To do a good job, the shower doors should be removed, but if you tape newspaper to the glass and put tape on everything else that doesn't get paint, it would make painting more difficult, but is possible.
As for removing faucets, etc. Just make sure they are covered with tape and all should be well. (05/05/2009)

By Anonymous

Painting a Bathtub

I agree with "Amuk". It's best if you do remove everything and it will turn out better, but you don't have to. But what you do have to do is have a totally, spotlessly, grease-free, and very clean bathtub (so the paint will stick). You also need clean hands with no lotion on them because oil is not your friend. If it were me, not only would I clean that tub with the cleanser recommended, I'd wipe the whole tub down with a clean rag and rubbing alcohol. This should be done right before you paint it. The alcohol will remove any left-over residue.

But if it were me, I would not paint my tub. This is because you can buy a brand new Fiberglas tub for under $150! Or you can buy a nice used bathtub at a salvage yard for half that price. All you need is the measurements of your original tub and know if the faucet is on the right or on the left hand side. You'd then remove the old tub then put the new one in. Lastly I'd then hire a plumber (or a friend) to connect the fixtures. A fiberglass tub will be easier, cheaper, and lighter to install.

Open windows for good ventilation and make sure it's warm enough so the paint sets properly. (05/06/2009)

By Cyinda

An old clawfoot tub.
Painting a Bathtub
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Photo of decals stuck to the bottom of a bathtub.
Removing Bathtub Decals
A bathtub.
Cleaning a Textured Bathtub Floor
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
🎄