Personal Property Dispute After Death in the Family

The death of a family member is quite stressful. Unfortunately, it is also, at times, the occasion for bitter disputes over personal property belonging to the deceased. This is a guide about personal property dispute after death in the family.

October 20, 2016 Flag

My mother died, left everything to my little brother, and he appointed his oldest daughter power of attorney and executor of the will. None of this part of the family will give me any information whatsoever. Since, he has destroyed hundreds of dollars worth of my property within the home, and all without my knowledge, "he says" he can destroy what I have left in the home, "since probate is over", he has given me an ultimatum. Get the rest of my belongings out, or he will destroy them as well.

Can he do this, since I need a small window of time, just to clear a spot in my home to put the rest of what belongs to me, that remains in the home?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Unfortunately, I think you should retain an attorney to protect your interests in this sad situation. The attorney you choose should specialize in estate and POA matters and should not be connected to your problem in any way. Initially, your attorney can send a letter to your brother to stop all action on anything in the house, etc., that may be yours or of interest to you and set a time that you can access the house to recover all items you believe are yours. The attorney can also file suit for all actions your brother has taken to prevent access to the house and return all items, etc., that are yours.

This is a difficult and emotional time for all involved; please keep your emotions in check (your attorney will handle the affairs) and a clear plan to accomplish your goals.

Best Answer

This sounds like this "battle" did not just begin but maybe has been going on for a while.

An attorney is probably a good idea but why not get a crew together, rent a storage temporarily, rent a uhaul, contact the local police department and request an escort, (in case there is a problem), move your belongings and deal with anything else after this is done?

Just a thought...

Best Answer

NB:

Before you try a surprise attack, please discuss the problem with your local police department as they may not want to be involved, even as an escort. Even if you are able to gain access to the house, you may have a problem locating exactly what you want and your brother may cause additional problems.

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceNovember 9, 2016
attendant and customer at a dry cleaners
Resolving a Dispute with a Dry Cleaner
Gardener trimming Hedge
How Property Laws Affect Gardeners
highlighed will and fountain pen
Dealing With an Estate Where There is No Will
Smiling Young Boy in Death Costume
Making a Death Costume
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 17, 2017 at 2:21:21 AM on 10.0.0.125 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.