Planting a Calla Lily Outside

Depending on your planting zone you can grow calla lilies outside in the ground or in pots, which help prevent spread. This is a guide about planting a calla lily outside.

I would like to purchase a calla lily plant for outdoors. I live in zone 6 and do NOT want to have to bring the plant in during the winter. Is there a calla lily plant for my zone that can be left outdoors? How would I protect it from the elements? Thank you.

Jo

Best Answer

Calla lilies are a tropical plant and many varieties will not survive zone 6 temperatures. The years I did leave some of mine out (I also live in zone 6), they died.

I've had a few for years and simply repot with fresh soil and a larger pot every two years or separate to have more potted plants. I bring them in during early Fall and take them back out during late Spring. They give lots of indoor enjoyment and health benefits during the 'house closed up for the Winter months' :-) :-

Check with a local nursery (not a mega store nursery) and ask for honest advice so you don't waste your money.

Best Answer

I live in Northern CA, and we get frost, I have the small calla lilys out in my yard, and they never die!

Just don't plant in the yard, keep in a planter and it won't take over!