Growing Calla Lilies

Category Bulbs
These perennial bulbs require some special care to produce exquisite late spring flowers. This guide is about growing calla lilies.

Botanical Name:

Zamtedescjoa

Life Cycle:

perennial bulb

Planting Time:

spring to early summer; plant tubers in fall if using as houseplants

Height:

18" to 24"

Exposure:

full sun to light shade

Soil:

rich, moist, well-drained soil; tolerates areas too moist for other bulbs

Hardiness:

hardy to frost-free zones; bulbs can be dug up and stored over winter in cooler zones

Bloom Time:

late spring

Flower:

variety of colors

Foliage:

green

Propagation:

Seeds, division in early spring, basil cuttings in summer.

Suggested Use:

beds, borders, bouquets and flower arrangements

Growing Hints:

Calla lilies need to be planted deeply for their size. Plant them at a depth of 4 inches, spacing each bulb 12 inches apart. In cooler zones, start bulbs indoors in late winter and transplant them in the spring when danger of frost has passed. Apply a bulb fertilizer monthly during the active growing season. Calla lilies can also be grown as house plants if placed in a sunny window. Most Calla lilies need a rest period after flowering, so gradually withhold water until the leaves die back and let plants rest for 2 to 3 months before resuming watering to encourage new growth.

Interesting Facts:

Calla lilies are often used in wedding bouquets because their meaning signifies magnificence and beauty.

Calla lilies typically bloom from spring through September. If yours are blooming later in the season there may be climatic or microclimatic conditions that have allowed them to bloom later than normal.

This is a guide about, "Why are my calla lilies blooming in the fall?".

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

The beautiful trumpet shaped flowers of the calla lily provide interest in any garden. This page contains photos of calla lilies.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Depending on your zone your calla lilies can either be left in the ground over the winter or will need to be dug up, dried out, and kept indoors. This is a guide about overwintering calla lilies.

Depending on your planting zone you can grow calla lilies outside in the ground or in pots, which help prevent spread. This is a guide about planting a calla lily outside.

The pods that develop as your calla lily blooms fade are in fact seed pods. Callas multiply by reseeding and new bulb development. This is a guide about growing calla lilies from pods.

If planted in a suitable place in your garden your calla lilies will produce more bulbs. They can become overwhelming if not controlled or thinned out.

This is a guide about, "Do calla lilies spread?".

I have tried to find out the name of this particular calla lily. I have seen some that are close but, not like it. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me. Thank you.

Answers

This looks like the Green Goddess variety.

I pulled up pics of the Green Godess Cally Lily and it is closer to mine but, there is still a difference. Mine as a center flower with what looks like a (leaf ?) that comes around the flower part. In pics of Godess it's one piece

I have a lot of calla lilies and have several books as well as some sale catalogues and I have never seen a calla lily like this. It looks like a "double" and as far as I can find out there is no such plant.

I have asked a master gardener about this but no answer yet.
Can you find out from where you obtained it? Hope you let us know if you do find an answer.

I got it several years ago from Home Depo in a bag that was marked as a mixture of Cally lilies. Was the only one like it. Company was Bulbs dig drop done

This looks like a hybrid Green Goddess with some other variety. It was possibly a one-of-a-kind kind

onestly, it doesn't look like a calla lily. I've never heard of a calla lily with a flower growing inside of it in that way. I also did a lot of googling and came up blank. But it may be some bizarre new hybrid that arose spontaneously or was designed that way.

A "double" calla lily is a mutation. It's basically a twin lily. The variety is probably White Spotted leaf Calla Lily (Zantedeschia albomaculata). You just have a very unusual one.

https://garden.  ts/photo/133197/

It's a spontaneous genetic mutation happens randomly. It does look similar to the green goddess.

Where I am going to try to plant my calla lily is facing west and gets afternoon sun, but gets morning shade. Is that alright for them?

By Nancy from Citrus Heights, CA

Answers

That should be fine. Callas are the only lilies that will grow in shade.

Yes, thats perfect

I ordered calla seeds. I received small bulbs some with shoots. The size is about 1/5" to 1/3". I planted them in a plastic tray each individually and covered with a dome to create a medium for growth. I don't know if I did the right thing. I also put them in a cool dark place. I got them in small plastic bags without instructions. Please help. I am starting a garden and probably need professional help. I live in zone 8.

Answers

Get the corms (I think) out of the cool dark place and into a pot filled with good soil. Place the pot outside.

https://www.you  ch?v=Gym0td2XjDk

We recently got a calla lily and it has small droplets on the end of it's leaves. What are they?

By Stan D.

Answers

In your Calla Lily water is absorbed through the roots and travels up through the plant. Most of the water taken up like this is 'lost' to evaporation. What water is left behind for the plant to use is for tissue growth, etc. The evaporation action works like a pumping station which pulls water (and fertilizer and anything else dissolved in the water) up through the plant. This is how plant tissues function. When a plant grows in very wet conditions, or is watered generously, it absorbs moisture and builds up pressure inside the cell walls. Holes in the leaves are forced open and water may drip giving the appearance that the lily is 'crying'.

My calla lily blooms are not standing up straight. They are almost looking wilted. Is this a sign of not enough water or too much water? I have never had one before and am a little stumped. Please help.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By cathy from Anderson, SC

Answers

When I needed information about the Calla Lily, this is the site I used. Lots of useful info.
http://www.esso  callali_rncg.htm

Hope this helps. Karyn

I just purchased a calla lily in a 2 quart pot. I put it into a 12 inch pot, but I can not get the lily to stand up after being planted. Some of the lily broke off. I did put water on the roots before planting. Also I put water in the pot after I planted it.

By Paulette H

We have a lot of calla lilies, but few actually flower. What's up with that!

By Doyle

Why do the flowers droop over? Do they need to be cut?

By DO

I live in the Deep South and have had Calla lilies for many years that I don't have to dig up in the winter. However, this winter we had several days in a row of freezing weather. I cut back all the damage to the head of the bulb. My questions is: Will the bulbs make new leaves (I already had a lot of green growth) or should I start all over?

By Debbie from Destrehan, LA

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
This brilliant coloration calla lily was purchased last spring on a clearance shelf at a local flower nursery. After carefully planting it, watering, and giving it plant food, the stems appeared with small leaves this spring. The light green stems peeked out of the soil and the shoot grew and a dark green leaf appeared. Then several more green stems made their entrance through the soil producing the colorful leaf. Now the brilliant coloration of the flower bud is beginning it's transformation into a calla lily bloom filled with the beauty of its shape and color.

Comment Like this photo? 2