Planting a Garden in Old Tires

How safe is it to use old tires as a raised garden? I have tried for many years in my back yard with no success. I have many old tires and was wondering about that. I know I can do flowers but just wondered about a small garden. Thanks for your help.

Patsy from Salem, MO

Answers:

Planting a Garden in Old Tires

I have seen it done at a garden show in an exhibit for square foot gardening. I have also seen it used for potatoes (in stacked up tractor tires). I have never heard they are not safe, but have heard a lot of warnings against using RR ties. (03/03/2009)

By mom-from-missouri

Planting a Garden in Old Tires

I have found articles on the internet stating that the tires leach toxins into the ground therefore affecting the crop, making it unsafe to consume. Besides considering the opinions on this site, I would google the topic and see what else you find.

I have seen container gardening done using barrels, maybe this would be a safer option providing the barrels haven't been exposed to toxic chemicals.
Good luck and be safe. (03/04/2009)

By Squirrley

Planting a Garden in Old Tires

I know this isn't exactly what you asked about, but since you have plenty of tires, why not find out how to cut them up and make dog toys? They are selling these like crazy and my dogs love them. Just another use for the tires :-) (03/04/2009)

By fab4mom

Planting a Garden in Old Tires

Never use tires to plant a veggie or fruit garden! Very toxic and the toxins will enter the plants and then you eat them. Only use for flowers.

Jim in Jax (03/04/2009)

By smartfell-r

Planting a Garden in Old Tires

Here's a good article for you to read. I'm trying it myself this year. Can't beat the cost of 'em!
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/sanders98.html

The EPA says, "There is no current evidence showing that products containing recycled rubber from scrap tires substantially increases the threat to human health and the environment as compared to the threats associated with conventional products." (http://www.epa.gov/garbage/tires/faq.htm#ques14), but they're talking about ground tires in road beds and their effect on groundwater (though they have a lovely picture of a squash plant growing in a tire right close to this statement.) (03/08/2009)

By LMcCay420

Planting a Garden in Old Tires

I would not trust what the EPA says about tires. To use small pieces of old tires for walkways and driveways is fine. But I would never use old tires as planting veggie beds as there are chemicals that leach from tires and will be taken in by the plants.

Jim in Jax (05/06/2009)

By smartfell-r

Planting a Garden in Old Tires

How about stacking 4-5 high and lining with plastic? Are you then eating the plastic? (03/28/2011)

By Ray S

brightly colored tire planters
Reusing Tires in the Garden
Stack of Free Tires
Locating Free Tires
Tire planter with flowers in it.
Making Tire Planters
Pile of Old Tires
Disposing of Old Tires
New Tires
Buying Tires
🎉
🎄