Potato Candy

My aunt who lived in West Virginia and has passed use to make potato candy. That's what she called it anyway. I thought I had written it down, but I have either lost it or I didn't write it down. I know she boiled potatoes and peeled them. But from there I don't remember what she did. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Can you help me please? Thank you for your help.

Joan from Des Moines, IA

Answers:

Potato Candy

Got it right so far. After the potatoes are peeled, mash them and add powdered sugar to it till you get a dough you can roll out. Then spread peanut butter on it. Roll it up in a log fashion and wrap in wet dish towel and put it in the frig for a couple of hours and then get it out and slice into 1/2 inch pieces. Remember a small potato makes a lot of the dough. (05/02/2008)

By huggy46

Potato Candy

The secret to this amazing and cheap candy is to make it while the potato is hot. Boil a small (one that fits in your hand is fine) potato till it's tender or done. Peel as fast as you can, don't allow for the potato to cool. The powdered sugar adheres better with the heat of the potato. Mash the potato with a fork, while hot, in a bowl and stir in sifted powdered sugar till you make a stiff batter. Small lumps of potatoes are fine. Roll out your dough to a thin layer, spread with peanut butter of any variety and roll up jelly roll style. Wrap with wax paper and chill at least an hour till firm. Slice crosswise into medallions with a pretty design, this should make a lot of pieces. Store covered in the fridge if it lasts that long. Enjoy. My mom used to make this for us, when we were growing up. (05/06/2008)

By badwater

Potato Candy

(submitted via email)
You are exactly correct with recipe.
Although I put 1/2 tsp of vanilla in the potato mix prior to confectioners sugar.

Carole (11/24/2008)

By jess

Potato Candy

This candy has been in my family for years. Its an old Irish tradition. Try adding a little cream cheese in with the mashed potato, vanilla, and sugar. You can't taste it ( I promise, I hate cream cheese), but its makes your dough easier to roll and it doesn't crack as easily. (12/17/2008)

By Ashley

Potato Candy

I have been making this for years also. I decided to try a switch one day with over ripened bananas and everyone loved it. Smash up a banana instead of the potato! If you like the old favorite peanut butter and banana sandwiches you'll like this. I haven't done it yet, but I also thought of adding some marshmallow fluff to the peanut butter layer, like the fluffier nutter sandwich. (12/20/2008)

By marisa0407

Potato Candy

Warning - a very little potato will make a ton of candy! Start with a quarter of a small potato or less 'til you see how much it makes! (12/08/2009)

By cowhick

Irish Potato Candy Recipes
Sweet Potato Chips
Sweet Potato Chip Recipes
Irish Potato Soup
Irish Potato Soup Recipes
A bowl of potato chips.
Recipes Using Potato Chips
Hot Potato Salad
Hot Potato Salad Recipes
🎄
🍂