Irish Potato Candy Recipes

Category Candies

Make cute potato shaped confections, usually containing potatoes and powdered sugar. This page contains Irish potato candy recipes.

These delicious candies are easy to make and can be stored for a while, because the sugar helps preserve them.

Directions:

1. Take one medium potato, boil with skin on until tender, then cool. I do this the night before making the rolls.
  2. Peel and remove skin and dark spots. Quarter and dice into mixing bowl.
  3. Add 1 to 2 pounds powdered sugar and mix until mixture looks like cookie dough.
  4. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring or butter nut flavoring.
  5. Take dough and roll out on waxpaper to the size of a piecrust.
  6. Put a 16 ounce jar of peanut butter in a small bowl and add some powdered sugar to thicken.
  7. Spread peanut butter mixture onto "pie crust" and roll up like a jelly roll.
  8. Wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate overnight until set, then slice like pinwheels.

Source: Mother-in-law, she used to make this to send to people in war because it lasts for a long time because the sugar preserves it.

By Debra from Smyrna, GA

My grandmother used to make potato candy pinwheels that had a layer of chocolate and a layer of peanut butter, so they were much prettier than just the potato and peanut butter. Anyone know the recipe for these? I've never made them, so I'm not quite sure how to work in the chocolate layer. Thanks!

By Nanny's Girl

I am looking for the recipe for Irish potato candy.

By edith from Waynesville, NC

I am looking for the recipe for potato candy.

By Sharon from Sacramento, CA

Answers:

Potato Candy

Check the following sites:

http://www.allrecipes.com

or

http://www.food.com (10/24/2010)

By Marjorie

Potato Candy

You can also use the above recipe, omit the peanut butter and roll the potato and icing sugar mixture into small balls, using about 1 teaspoon for each ball. Roll each ball in melted chocolate, and roll in dessicated (finely chopped) coconut while the chocolate is still warm. Place on wire cake racks to cool and set. It's a good idea to put waxed paper under the cake racks, as the chocolate will drip. My grandma always used to add some flavoring to the potato and icing sugar mixture: peppermint, almond, or rum are really good.

You can also tint the mixture to your favorite colour. We do green and red for Christmas. (10/28/2010)

By Dena Roberts

Potato Candy

Sorry, I guess the recipe is in the archives! One small boiled potato, mashed, while still warm, add enough powdered (icing) sugar to make a firm dough. It takes a lot of icing sugar! Then add colouring and/or flavouring, if desired, then form a small ball and roll in the chocolate and coconut and set aside, on the cake rack. You have to make them one at a time! They are delicious! (10/28/2010)

By Dena Roberts

My aunt who lived in West Virginia and has passed use to make potato candy. That's what she called it anyway. I thought I had written it down, but I have either lost it or I didn't write it down. I know she boiled potatoes and peeled them. But from there I don't remember what she did. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Can you help me please? Thank you for your help.

Joan from Des Moines, IA

Answers:

Potato Candy

Got it right so far. After the potatoes are peeled, mash them and add powdered sugar to it till you get a dough you can roll out. Then spread peanut butter on it. Roll it up in a log fashion and wrap in wet dish towel and put it in the frig for a couple of hours and then get it out and slice into 1/2 inch pieces. Remember a small potato makes a lot of the dough. (05/02/2008)

By Jackie

Potato Candy

The secret to this amazing and cheap candy is to make it while the potato is hot. Boil a small (one that fits in your hand is fine) potato till it's tender or done. Peel as fast as you can, don't allow for the potato to cool. The powdered sugar adheres better with the heat of the potato. Mash the potato with a fork, while hot, in a bowl and stir in sifted powdered sugar till you make a stiff batter. Small lumps of potatoes are fine. Roll out your dough to a thin layer, spread with peanut butter of any variety and roll up jelly roll style. Wrap with wax paper and chill at least an hour till firm.

Slice crosswise into medallions with a pretty design, this should make a lot of pieces. Store covered in the fridge if it lasts that long. Enjoy. My mom used to make this for us, when we were growing up. (05/06/2008)

By badwater

Potato Candy

(submitted via email)
You are exactly correct with recipe.
Although I put 1/2 tsp of vanilla in the potato mix prior to confectioners sugar.

Carole (11/24/2008)

By Jess (TF Editor)

Potato Candy

This candy has been in my family for years. Its an old Irish tradition. Try adding a little cream cheese in with the mashed potato, vanilla, and sugar. You can't taste it ( I promise, I hate cream cheese), but its makes your dough easier to roll and it doesn't crack as easily. (12/17/2008)

By Ashley

Potato Candy

I have been making this for years also. I decided to try a switch one day with over ripened bananas and everyone loved it. Smash up a banana instead of the potato! If you like the old favorite peanut butter and banana sandwiches you'll like this. I haven't done it yet, but I also thought of adding some marshmallow fluff to the peanut butter layer, like the fluffier nutter sandwich. (12/20/2008)

By marisa

Potato Candy

Warning - a very little potato will make a ton of candy! Start with a quarter of a small potato or less 'til you see how much it makes! (12/08/2009)

By Sandra

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.