Irish Potato Candy Recipes

These delicious candies are easy to make and can be stored for a while, because the sugar helps preserve them.

Directions:

1. Take one medium potato, boil with skin on until tender, then cool. I do this the night before making the rolls.
  2. Peel and remove skin and dark spots. Quarter and dice into mixing bowl.
  3. Add 1 to 2 pounds powdered sugar and mix until mixture looks like cookie dough.
  4. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring or butter nut flavoring.
  5. Take dough and roll out on waxpaper to the size of a piecrust.
  6. Put a 16 ounce jar of peanut butter in a small bowl and add some powdered sugar to thicken.
  7. Spread peanut butter mixture onto "pie crust" and roll up like a jelly roll.
  8. Wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate overnight until set, then slice like pinwheels.

Source: Mother-in-law, she used to make this to send to people in war because it lasts for a long time because the sugar preserves it.

By Debra from Smyrna, GA

7 Questions

My grandmother used to make potato candy pinwheels that had a layer of chocolate and a layer of peanut butter, so they were much prettier than just the potato and peanut butter. Anyone know the recipe for these? I've never made them, so I'm not quite sure how to work in the chocolate layer. Thanks!

By Nanny's Girl

Answers

Anonymous

No but its sounds good wreath you talking about sweet potato?

Potato candy is made with regular starchy white potatoes. I don't know how sweet potatoes would work as they don't have nearly as much starch in them.

Hope this helps. A lady in the comments section, below this recipe, stated that she used Hershey's chocolate spread as one layer and it was very good:
thesouthernladycooks.com/.../

Answer this Question

I am looking for the recipe for Irish potato candy.

By edith from Waynesville, NC

Answer this Question

I am looking for the recipe for potato candy.

My aunt who lived in West Virginia and has passed use to make potato candy. That's what she called it anyway.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts CandiesApril 23, 2012
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Irish-Potato-Candy-Recipes.html