Preservatives for Homemade Laundry Detergent

I made homemade liquid detergent using powdered fels naptha soap, washing soda, and borax. I would like to know how long is this homemade detergent good for without preservatives? I only wash at the most 3 large loads a month. I would like to know if it is worth me making this homemade laundry detergent or is it not a good idea. Am I using detergent that is already spoiled since I do not put preservatives in the homemade detergent? Is there anywhere where I can buy preservatives?

Mary

Answers:

Don't make the liquid version, make the dry version and it will last. There are recipes all over the internet. Google is your friend. But I must say, for the few loads of laundry that you do, why bother? (02/05/2009)

By OliveOyl

The reason I use this laundry soap is because it costs less and also because it works better than any laundry soap I've ever bought from the store. Even if you only use it very little, it is worth it. If you want to make the liquid soap, just cut it down by half or even one-fourth as it isn't that hard to make. I've had a batch last for six months and nothing happened to it. I wouldn't add preservatives to it cause what could go bad in it. And why would you want to add preservatives cause they are not always a good thing. I hope this helps. (02/05/2009)

By justhelpingout

I wasn't aware that soap spoiled. (02/06/2009)

By Lynn

I make dry laundry soap. I use the Fels Naptha recipe from the company. Grate up fine 1 bar fels naptha soap. Then use 1 cup of the grated soap, add to it 1/2 Cup washing soda (not baking soda, it is sodium carbonate) and 1/2 cup 20 mule team borax. Mix well and store airtight. Use 1 Tbsp of the soap for 1 load. If there is heavy dirt use 2 Tbsp, to dissolve the soap I put 1 Tbsp. in a plastic jar and fill it about 1/2 full of water. Let it soak till your next load, or if you don't wash often you can put 1 Tbsp. soap in a blender and add some water to it and blend till it is liquid and use it right away. I have had this dry soap around for a year or more without problems. (02/06/2009)

By suzin

If the soap, borax, and washing soda were going to "spoil", preservatives would have already been put into them when they were made. You do not have to add more just because you are mixing them together. Just for the record, these agents last for years without going bad. (02/07/2009)

liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
A washer filled with laundry.
Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipes
Dry laundry detergent stored in glass canisters.
Storing Dry Laundry Detergent
Wheelbarrow Flower Decoration
Crafts Using Laundry Detergent Scoops
🎄